[OSList] Anne Stadler... Research "stigmergy",

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Nov 30 17:37:14 PST 2014

testing...

Question:
Is not each post on *OSLIST* an example of the stigmergy principle in
action?

" Stigmergy is a mechanism of indirect coordination
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/coordination> between (*OSLIST*) agents.
The principle is that the trace (an *OSLIST* post) left in the
environment by an action /stimulates the performance of a next action/,
by the same or a different (*OSLIST*) agent."

On 11/30/14 1:01 PM, Harrison Owen via OSList wrote:

> Anne -- I did have to chuckle when you took Dan to the Woodshed. JHis
> use of the word "stigmergy" set me back a bit too. Particularly since
> I pride myself on my vocabulary, but that one got me. I did fail the
> course. I could see the roots, and guess the meaning, but it really
> was foreign territory. And then I remembered Ants, and E O Wilson's
> marvelous large tome on the subject, "Superorganism." I read it cover
> to cover twice. Truthfully I learned more about ants than I ever
> wanted to know -- but along the way I found myself entranced by the
> elegant power of self organization as it manifest in some of our
> smaller neighbors. And if Ants can do it, By God -- we can too!
>
> Harrison
>
> Winter Address
>
> 7808 River Falls Drive
>
> Potomac, MD 20854
>
> 301-365-2093
>
> Summer Address
>
> 189 Beaucaire Ave.
>
> Camden, ME 04843
>
> 207-763-3261
>
> Websites
>
> www.openspaceworld.com <%20www.openspaceworld.com>
>
> www.ho-image.com
>
> OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
> archives of OSLIST Go

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.

(203) 915 7248 (cell)