[OSList] Open Space for my own team

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Nov 19 20:45:17 PST 2014

Hi Agnieszka,

I feel you have excellent instincts with respect to your discomfort with
the idea of Facilitating and participating as a member at the same time.
Like you,  I, too am also uncomfortable... occupying the roles of
Facilitator and Participant at the same time.

I coach Agile. If I am functioning as coach to the group, I always
refrain from Facilitating OST, because my current belief is that I
probably cannot be effective as the OST Facilitator in that spot.

In any event, instead, I prefer to pay a friend to do the Facilitation,
and then play in the OST game as a Participant.

And so: I wonder if you might have a local friend, someone interested in
your OST work, who is not currently a member of your team. I wonder if
you could teach this local-friend person the basics of OST Facilitation
ahead of time. I wonder if you could teach this person how to do it, in,
say, 1 or 2 hours, with a little, private, mock "chairs-in-a-circle"
walk-through, with the posters, etc.

I wonder if your friend might then be willing to actually do the
Facilitation of your team's OST event,  in exchange for your excellent
before/during/after mentoring (and the very excellent learn-by-doing
opportunity.)

Kind Regards,
Daniel

On 11/19/14 2:58 AM, Agnieszka Maja Wawrzyniak via OSList wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am to facilitate an Open Space for a team I am a part of and I
> really would like to participate, but as a facilitator, I know I
> shouldn't.
> We will probably not able to hire an external facilitator, so I'm
> tryng to work this out...
>
> Do you have similar experiences? Any ideas? Recommendations?
>
> Greets
> Agnieszka

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.