[OSList] The primary task of the OSLIST group

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Nov 1 07:04:32 PDT 2014

Hi Alan,

I am thankful for your expressions of personal perception, and
explanation, regarding the primary task of this group.

Thanks also for your story!

You quote Picasso, and elect to paraphrase him, as follows:

/“Our meaning in life is identifying our gift,/

//

/"Our purpose in life is giving it away.”///

/I tend to paraphrase this as ‘… our gifts … is giving them away.’ /

I do not know if you speak for the group as a whole. And we are about to
find out shortly. Right? Your expression of the perceived primary task
may /resonate/- if it does, some may join, by encouraging the discussion
in the same direction.

Your expression of the perceived primary task may /not/ resonate- if it
does not, some may encourage the discussion in a new direction, or
opt-out of participating in the thread altogether.

For my part, I elect to join you, in exploring /gifting/ (your words)
and /generosity/ (my words)  here.

And here are some of my thoughts on that:

http://newtechusa.net/agile/being-generous-with-your-gift/
http://newtechusa.net/agile/generosity-thrivability-and-self-organization/
http://newtechusa.net/agile/microgenerosity/

Kind Regards,
Daniel

On 11/1/14 9:03 AM, Alan Stewart wrote:

> G’day Dan and All
>
> In your response of 21 Oct 2014 to my post***Re: [OSList] Respect in
> Self-Organizing Systems *you muse:
>
> “I often wonder what the primary task of the OSLIST group is.”
>
> Having been a group member for about 20 years and having attended five
> WOSonOS
>
> I have a ‘take’ on this matter.
>
> This derives in part from a statement of Pablo Picasso that:
>
> “Our meaning in life is identifying our gift,
>
> Our purpose in life is giving it away.”
>
> I tend to paraphrase this as ‘… our gifts … is giving them away.’
>
> One of the gifts I note in relation to ‘the primary task of the OSLIST
> group’ is that of knowing of the principles and practices of OST by
> the group members and our giving them away,  professionally and
> personally.
>

> In my case the 'beginning' gift arrived, in 1994, totally
> unexpectedly, in the post in the form of Harrison's original book,
> about which knew nothing. I had occasion to experiment with the
> process, as a speaker scheduled to present a few days later had
> withdrawn. Which I did, after reading the book swiftly - and on
> observing the response was forever hooked!
>
> As my ‘take’ is quite long and somewhat personal I would not wish to
> foist it on the LIST. And so I invite anyone who may be interested in
> this to contact me. Whoever does ... <smile>
>
> Incidentally, yesterday I facilitated a one day conversation for the
> Australian Churches Refugee Taskforce
> <http://www.australianchurchesrefugeetaskforce.com.au/>. This has been
> established by a group of the biggest church denominations in
> Australia to care for the wellbeing of asylum seekers and refugees.
> This event was held in Adelaide at their second annual get together
> and was to converse about their priorities in the coming year. Several
> participants had previous experience of the value of OST for such a
> purpose, which is why it was chosen. The concluding consensus – in my
> understanding - was through it this time they had accomplished what
> they wished.
>
> Looking forward
>
> Go well
>
> Alan
>

> *Alan Stewart, PhD*
> **
>
> *Professional Conversationalist
> Web: **www.multimindsolutions.com* <http://www.multimindsolutions.com/>**
> **
>
> **Em: **alan at multimindsolutions.com* <mailto:alan at multimindsolutions.com>*
> * Mob: **+61413848680* <tel:0413848680>*
> *
>
> *New social process Conversare <http://conversare.net>

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.