[OSList] The primary task of the OSLIST group

Alan Stewart via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Nov 1 06:03:02 PDT 2014

G’day Dan and All

In your response of 21 Oct 2014 to my post *Re: [OSList] Respect in
Self-Organizing Systems *you muse:

“I often wonder what the primary task of the OSLIST group is.”

Having been a group member for about 20 years and having attended five
WOSonOS

I have a ‘take’ on this matter.

This derives in part from a statement of Pablo Picasso that:

“Our meaning in life is identifying our gift,

Our purpose in life is giving it away.”

I tend to paraphrase this as ‘… our gifts … is giving them away.’

One of the gifts I note in relation to ‘the primary task of the OSLIST
group’ is that of knowing of the principles and practices of OST by the
group members and our giving them away,  professionally and personally.

In my case the 'beginning' gift arrived, in 1994, totally unexpectedly, in
the post in the form of Harrison's original book, about which knew nothing.
I had occasion to experiment with the process, as a speaker scheduled to
present a few days later had withdrawn. Which I did, after reading the book
swiftly - and on observing the response was forever hooked!

As my ‘take’ is quite long and somewhat personal I would not wish to foist
it on the LIST. And so I invite anyone who may be interested in this to
contact me. Whoever does ... <smile>

Incidentally, yesterday I facilitated a one day conversation for the Australian
Churches Refugee Taskforce
<http://www.australianchurchesrefugeetaskforce.com.au/>. This has been
established by a group of the biggest church denominations in Australia to
care for the wellbeing of asylum seekers and refugees. This event was held
in Adelaide at their second annual get together and was to converse about
their priorities in the coming year. Several participants had previous
experience of the value of OST for such a purpose, which is why it was
chosen. The concluding consensus – in my understanding - was through it
this time they had accomplished what they wished.

Looking forward

Go well

Alan

*Alan Stewart, PhD*