[OSList] Pain & Anger II

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Mon May 12 09:17:46 PDT 2014

Hi Michael, Lisa,

Thanks for emailing assistance with the OSList. Although I'm officially
administering the OSList - because of my limited capacity I'm afraid I
can't provide much assistance. But here are a few tidbits about the
OSList that are usually at the heart of any one's need for help.

1) Google's gmail has a lovely *feature* that it refuses to send you
your own mails to any lists you subscribe to with your gmail account,
thus making it seem like your mails aren't getting through. Thus
prompting confused emails to your list managers that no mail is getting
through. Thus making life harder for *EVERY* list manager like myself.
Thank you mighty lord of the Internet, Google! There may be other mail
providers that also do this. As Lisa said, you can check the archives to
ensure it went through.

2) If your email gets bounced - the bounce mail should tell you why.
Usually it's because you are sending from an unregistered address. Some
email systems use more than one address. Some people just have multiple
addresses. You *MUST* register all addresses you wish to email from. You
can turn off email delivery to all but one of those email addresses so
you don't get multiple copies by using the URL at the bottom of every
OSList email to manage your account. If you lost your password, that URL
*can* be used to retrieve your password.

3) You will get fewer emails if you use the Digest format - but that has
the disadvantage of making it harder to reply to individual posts. You
probably want to get off of digest mode by changing your OSList account
(as in the paragraph above). Or you can just use cut and paste after you
reply to fix the subject of your email and get rid of all the other topics.

     Regards,
     Harold

P.S. How interesting this technical topic of troubles with the OSList
gets the subject Pain & Anger II.

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>