[OSList] Open Space and Holacracy

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Fri Mar 7 07:35:12 PST 2014

Let's see. Quick inventory:

  * /Questions/ tend to "open space". Invitations are questions & end
    with a question mark.
  * /Statements/ tend to "close space". Mandates are statements & end
    with a period.
  * /Everything/ real and genuine and authentic runs on human engagement
    (aka "passion+responsibility").
  * /Invitations/ tend to increase levels of engagement.
  * /Mandates/ tend to increase levels of DIS engagement.
  * /Open Space/ results in higher levels of engagement.
  * /Intentions/ equal Results.

Therefore:

  * The intention of doing a genuine Open Space is to increase engagement.
  * The intent of a genuine mandate is increase DIS engagement

Seems simple enough.

And this is why I routinely walk away from "opportunities" to help bring
Agile to organizations, when formally authorized leadership opts-out of
opening space.

Daniel

On 3/6/14 1:04 PM, Harrison Owen wrote:

> Christine said -- "Are we "working too hard" when we try to work
> differently ?Do you believe that Zappos would have end up anyway with
> same performance without the hard work of implementing Holacracy ?
> Anyway, we will never know..."
>
> I have no problem working differently, in fact at the moment I don't
> think we are working differently enough. As I see it, the names
> change, the processes change, but the fundamental presuppositions
> remain unchanged. Whether the issue is implementing Holarchy or a
> Dictatorship, the premise is that organization is something we do and
> we control. Doubtless Holarchy is more humane than a Dictatorship, but
> I think they both come from the same place, the same fundamental
> premise -- that organization (my organization, your organization) is
> our creature. We design it, we create it, we control it.
>
> Real difference comes with a change in premises, I think. Speaking
> just for myself, I find this to be a self organizing world, beginning,
> middle, and end. Even those organizations we think we organized end of
> being self organizing the moment we push the start button. So really
> working differently, and I think much smarter, efficiently,
> effectively, with greater joy and less effort, would start from that
> basic point: All the world is self organizing. We don't create it, we
> don't control it, but we can live in it productively. We can learn to
> enhance our ability for such living, and we can assist others to do
> the same. And how might that work?
>
> The first step is to watch and appreciate what is happening all by
> itself before we even think about doing anything. And Open Space can
> be our guide. As we see all the time in Open Space, organization
> starts when passion and responsibility intersect around an issue or
> opportunity. If it is exciting, people will come, and the next thing
> you know you have a group of "two or more gathered together to do
> something" -- which would be my definition of organization. The
> process and structure is totally emergent with no help needed. Happens
> all by itself. And as we have learned, intervention is not only not
> necessary, it actually mucks up the emergent process.
>
> It may happen that this nascent organization will die (When it's over
> it's over) or it may continue and grow (Whoever comes is the right
> people. Whatever happens is the only thing that could have.) Given a
> little time it could become the next Intel, Microsoft, Facebook...!
>
> Obviously the distance between a small nexus of passion and
> responsibility and a giant corporation is considerable -- but even the
> giants started as "two or more gathered together" and I don't think
> the rules change along the way. It is all fractal, and just as an OS
> for 10 works just like one for 2000 so also in the world at large
> (larger), I think.
>
> And what can we do along the journey? First, appreciate what's
> [...]

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.

(203) 915 7248 (cell)

Bio <http://newtechusa.net/dan-mezick/>. Blog