[OSList] When did you first hear about OST?

Thomas Perret via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Dec 17 06:12:58 PST 2014

1. I had googled "improv" and found this conference called "Applied Improvisation Network" coming up in a month in Amsterdam and I signed up. It was August 2010. I had had an experience urging me to explore improvisation games and that's why I googled. The conference program spun from Friday to Sunday and it was packed with tracks and workshops – except for Sunday, where it only said "Open Space".

2. When Sunday morning came I still didn't know what "Open Space" meant. We were sitting in a room, about 120w of us, when a lady started to walk around centre stage, telling about this American guy who worked on a conference for a year in the 80's, and the best thing about it turned out to be the coffee breaks. It was the most human story with a breakthrough. When people started to post sessions, I had that cramp in my belly telling me this is one of those "door moments" where something might be there if I stand up. After negotiating myself out of it for a while, I went up and announced a session. People came and I was so happy I cried.

3. The next year when the same conference was held entirely in Open Space. I remember thinking "why do it any other way"? Also, I remember looking at schools and workplaces in my mind and seeing the OS kind of swarming and knowing sooner or later it will be here.

4. It makes a big difference, I want for everyone to know this kind of collaboration is at hand.

Thomas