[OSList] When did you first hear about OST?

Kári Gunnarsson via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Dec 17 01:46:58 PST 2014

I did first hear about Open Space as one of many tools used in the youth
program in the EU.  The first experience for me at an Open Space event was
part of a networking event in 2005 for youth workers where 15 youth workers
from the English speaking West Europe where gathered to share experiences
with 15 youth workers from the Russian and English speaking East Europe. We
where gathered for 10 days, but only one of these days was for Open Space
with the theme of how we can work with one another after the event. The
Open Space facilitators was from Moscow and the Sponsor was from Austria.
It was a year later when going to a more traditional workshop conference in
2006 for the youth work I was involved with that I found the need for the
power of Open Space as the old way of doing things was not serving the
purpose of the gathering as it was presented to me. Then I got the books
from the internet, read them and started experimenting with my first Open
Space invitation sent in 2007.

On 16 December 2014 at 18:09, Daniel Mezick via OSList <

> *The OST-When Game *
>
> {
>
> Inspired by Michael Herman:
>
> On 12/14/14 11:26 AM, Michael Herman via OSList wrote:
>
> i'm ... interested in questions like:
>

> 1.
> *when did you first hear about os or ost? *
>
>   2. what was the hook?  how did you notice it might have value?
>
> 3. when did you notice that you'd started letting it inform how you live?
>
> 4. what has happened since then?  what difference does it seem to make?
>
>   From the thread, " [OSList] Who has facilitated at least 7 OST events?”
>
> }
>

> You are cordially invited to play:
>

> *The OST-When Game*
>

> *The Goal:*
>
> ·      *To get a collective idea* of when & how members here actually
> became aware of OST, noting any patterns and how these patterns may (or may
> not) be changing over time.
>
> ·      *To know the stories* of others, and (optionally, if you choose to
> play,) to disclose your own story.
>

> *The Rules:*
>

> ·      If you know anything at all about OST, as described below, you are
> invited to play.
>
> ·      You play the game by answering in reply to the question:
>

>  *“When did you first hear about OST?*”
>

>  ·      If you opt-in to playing, then: *for purposes of playing this
> game*, you are joining with all the other players, in explicitly
> authorizing, consenting to (and in fact agreeing to) the definition of OST
> that this game uses, listed below in the Notes section.
>
> ·      Beyond this, nothing further is expected of you, and there are
> absolutely no other rules whatsoever.
>

> *Tracking Progress:*
> You can track progress by watching the various properties of the thread,
> such as:
>

> ·      # of stories, the length or brevity of stories,
>
> ·      the tone/tempo/velocity/volume of replies, # of countries heard
> from,
>
> ·      levels of seriousness, or humor or,
>
> ·      absolutely anything else you might be paying attention to as
> people play it.
>

> *Play*:
>

> ·      Playing this game is 100% invitational and therefore 100%
> optional…if you know about OST, you are invited to play!
>

> *Notes*:
>
>    - This is the link to the definition of OST that this game is using:
>    - http://www.openspaceworld.com/users_guide.htm
>    - If you elect to play, please reply by clicking [Reply All] Or [Reply
>    List], so the thread stays together, under the same subject
>

> *Steps to Play:*
>
>    - Click [Reply All] Or [Reply List]
>    - Reply with your When-story
>

> What happens next is…well… anyone’s guess.
>

>  --
>
> Daniel Mezick, President
>
> New Technology Solutions Inc.
>
> (203) 915 7248 (cell)

> [...]