[OSList] How do we define LURKER?

Peggy Holman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Dec 14 11:59:12 PST 2014

I have played with the term "active readers" rather than lurkers. Has a different tone.

The compulsive historian in me wants to mention that in November, 2009, a message called Roll Call: Present was sent by Erik Fabian (who contributed about 15 messages from June to November of that year.) He asked people just to respond with a “present”. While he used the term lurkers, he included in a larger framing (below).

By his count, it brought 100+ responses, similar in tone to those responding now. Ironically, Erik’s reflections on the roll call (also below) was his last message to the list.

appreciatively,
Peggy

ROLL CALL: PRESENT
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 1:13 AM, Erik Fabian <erik at DOUBLEHAPPINESSNYC.COM> wrote:
>
> I was intrigued by Phelim's observation that the OSLIST, not being a physical space, lacks the
> information that comes from people sitting silent or choosing to leave.
>
> I invite the many folks, the lurkers, the newbies, the old hands, the folks with better things to do,
> anyone really...to respond to this message with a "present" if you would like to be noted as attending
> to this virtual space.
>
> I know it won't solve the exiting problem but it might perhaps give a sense of scale to the ratio of
> talkers to the silent.
>
> Erik - present
>
> *

REFLECTING ON THE ROLL CALL

> On Nov 29, 2009, at 2:01 PM, Erik Fabian <erik at DOUBLEHAPPINESSNYC.COM> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> 1st thing: I don't mean to stop the Roll Call if folks would still like to chime in. Feel welcome.
>
> 2nd: I was quite struck by the 100+ voices that have called present so far in the Roll Call. Your
> didn't know what was going to happen next...I felt like I watching a filibuster or something.
>
> I was also struck by the sense of willingness to continue to be present in this OSLIST conversation
> despite disagreements, other options, shyness, busy lives, etc. That felt like some kind of bedrock
> to me.
>
> The momentum has slowed and the thread has mixed back into the stream of multiple
> conversations on the list.  I have also started to hear some reflection from Michael (here:
> http://tinyurl.com/ygupaax) & Harold (here: http://tinyurl.com/ykx3scs) and so it seems
> appropriate to put out a broader invitation to reflect on the Roll Call.
>
> I suppose I should say, I viewed the Roll Call responses in the context of a couple weeks of debate
> about OS, where the online OS community should find its home, differing values around online
> communication styles, and thoughts about OS and change.
>
> Peggy asked an interesting question recently: How do the Open Space principles help us both
> support and resist change and what does that mean for the evolution of OST and opening space?
> (http://tinyurl.com/yzg8nh9)
>
> So I invite anyone, anyone who was present or silently sat aside, who would like to reflect on the
> Roll Call to feel welcome to do so, and to perhaps consider the Roll Call in the light of recent
> debates on this list or Peggy's question about change and the future of OS.
>
> Cheers,
> Erik

_________________________________
Peggy Holman