[OSList] Agile Adoptions, Open Space, and control

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Sat Apr 26 06:59:03 PDT 2014

There is a fellow named Ed Seykota. He innovates. He has 2 pairs of
models: a pair for 1-to-1 relationships, and a pair for group & system
level relationships. His models confirm and align with the philosophies
and assumptions which form the foundation of Open Space:

·All systems are open

·All systems are self-organizing

The Models

(1) *intimacy-centric*and *control-centric*models for relationships;
In a control-centric relationship, the parties go for control.  They use
manipulation, force, threats, guilt, etc. to get each other to "behave"
properly.  In an intimacy-centric relationship, the parties go for
connection.  Every event becomes an opportunity to become closer and
more intimate.

(2) *causal*and *system*models for dynamic behavior.
In the causal model, we have a cause and an effect.  You flip the switch
and the light goes on.  In the system model, you have inter-relating
elements that co-evolve as their effects on each other change.  Some
examples of systems are a thermostat that intends to keep the
temperature in the room constant and a futures market that intends to
find a price that balances supply, demand and other speculative
interests. Politicians typically apply the causal model to economic
situations so as to find a convenient "cause" that justifies
expenditures on their pet projects.

Now, what is interesting & concerning (to me) is the way the so-called
Agile institutions tacitly support the control-centric model for
relationships and the causal model for dynamic behavior, in Agile
adoptions. Throughout the world.

I am an Agile consultant. I choose to focus my attention on finding ways
to reduce the number of coaching days, such that organizations can reach
a state of self-sustaining, "freestanding" agility faster. And here is
what I have discovered: to speed up the process of change, the people in
the situation have to actually /consent/ to the change. They must be
/willing/. They must be choosing /freely/. High Performance in Agile
adoptions is a function of /opt-in willingness to proceed/ on the part
of the people who actually do the work.

Sound familiar?

Typical Agile adoptions today are implemented as imposed and mandated
process change. By "management". By "formally authorized leadership."
This is the control-centric model for relationships.

Typical Agile adoptions today are implemented as imposed, mandated
process change. The assumption is that if we can just "make them do this
or that", we can "cause" improvement in the organization. This is the
causal model for system behavior.

This is a very serious problem in our world, and one that the so-called
Agile institutions are just not addressing. The Agile Alliance, for
example, has various policy statements. Yet the Agile Alliance has no
policy statement whatsoever regarding the harmful, mandated imposition
of Agile practices. This amounts to a rubber-stamping of the
control-centric, causal, imposed-Agile "status quo" that we see in the
world today.

Open Space can help with Agile adoptions, but only if the Facilitator is
unwilling to implement the control-centric model for relationships, and
only if the Facilitator is unwilling to implement the causal model for
social-system behavior. Well-intentioned management often just does not
see it that way.

I'm concerned that we are entering a period where, absent any clear
position statement on mandated-Agile from the so-called Agile
institutions, we can expect trouble in the way Open Space evolves in the
Agile-adoption marketplace. As Open Space Facilitators, we (and we
alone) are in a position to maintain the sanctity of Open Space, and
prevent it from becoming a tool of manipulation and control in Agile
adoptions.

Daniel

Related Link: The Agile Imposition

http://martinfowler.com/bliki/AgileImposition.html

Related Link: Sample Agile Alliance policy statement on certification

http://www.agilealliance.org/news/agile-certification-a-position-statement/

Control vs Intimacy Model for 1-to-1 Relationships; Causal vs System
Model for Groups

http://www.seykota.com/tt/workshops/examples.html

--

Daniel Mezick, President