[OSList] Open Space and boundaries

Hege Steinsland steinslandhege at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 01:00:20 PDT 2014

Hi Michael.
Wow! This is an intense case, but not only hypothetically for sure...
Some spontaneous thoughts from me.

I agree with the aspects Eiwor brings in.
And I ask my self, will you be abel to trust the principles in Open Space in this situation?

I also think that the real issue in this situation is the lack of clear boundaries. What do we do in a situation with no clear boundaries to work and live and believe within?

A prework with the medicine wheel might help to do some clarifications.
Purpose: IS the purpose clear and understood? ( the purpose with this process/ the purpose with out church. Choose a focus)
Leadership: What kind of leadership do we have/ need to carry out this purpose? Who are this leadership?
Vision: What are out wishes for the future. What results do we want to se in a short and longer term. What kind of behavior and action do we need to see more of to work out way towards these goals.
Community: Who else care about this church?
Management: What can be our nest step? How do we do this?

I also think its important to be honest about the pain and the  experience of chaos in a situation like this.

If this is the frame, and theme is something like:
  We are in a situation of pain and Chaos, and our boundaries is not clear.
What are the issues and opportunities for our church in this situation?

Then maybe a leadership can emerge form an Open Space meeting, and one can start to heal relations. But I think you must have a group with some mandate to anchor the process.

All the best from
Hege :-)