[OSList] Open Space and boundaries

Eiwor Backelund eiwor at gatewayc.com
Tue Apr 1 23:33:45 PDT 2014

Hi Michael, what an interesting situation. I don´t really have any
suggestions but more some thoughts about what might happen. Open Space
creates a different structure than the usual in an organization. It allows
what needs to be discussed to surface and in this case there seems to be
much pain and uncertainty so if you chose to open space in this situation
you have to be aware of all this pain that might emerge in the open air. If
the meeting is long enough and the space is really open to discuss all this,
it might solve some of the misunderstandings and miscommunications that has
occurred in the church. I think in this case the givens or boundaries are
really important so everyone knows what is going to happen after the
meeting, what will the results be used for. Also important that they are
wide enough to handle the amount of grief and conflict that might arise. I
think working with the grief cycle in the planning meeting and in the
debrief meeting is a good way to raise awareness of where they all are in
the cycle so they can help each other work it through.
Eiwor