[OSList] (was) Open Space in schools - now: OST boundaries? constraints?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Sep 30 00:22:02 PDT 2013

Dan - I have taken the liberty of adjusting the title of this topic to more closely fit the changed content.

And: I look forward to hearing how others respond…

1/ I see the Law and Principles and *invitations* not as constraints.

2/ And not 'required' as in - some of us do not use the 5th Principle at all. However, the saying, inviting and simple explanation of these invitations help to create the structure (as there is a structure, just not the structure that a lot of people have experienced in meetings) / to create the container. What I mean by that is that I have observed that to not offer the invitation of the principles and law (even in a group of people who completely know and do Open Space) is not inviting presence and possibility in the same way. So different dynamics then occur.

And in saying that offering these invitations and explaining this process help to create the container, I mean a living, breathing, nutrient-rich container, perhaps similar to some containers like cellular walls, a bird's nest, a lake, a poem, or a wisp of vapor… which have some form within which there is flow.

3/ I notice that some super-good OST facilitators can use more words to explain things, and some use less. And the experience can be amazing. In my observation, it is not the amount of words, it is the complete true understanding of inviting Opening Circle and agenda co-creation (which include a brief explanation of principles and law and process), and getting / staying out of the way so the participants can do their own work, see their own patterns, feel their own co-leadership, and so on.

What do others think?

Lisa