[OSList] Open Space with Agile: Failure patterns

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Sun Sep 29 22:37:34 PDT 2013

Harrison says:
"...In a "face off" between a well functioning self-organizing system
and any process we might have designed to create the system, install the
system, or enhance the system -- the designed process doesn't have a
chance."

Dan says:
Hell, yes!

To be 100% clear, Open Agile Adoption (OAA) favors an INVITE (which
makes self-organizing simple) over a MANDATE (which makes
self-organizing nearly impossible).

It's literally "no contest". The invite is superior in every way. And by
this I mean, efficient, useful, effective. Human! The "what" (in this
case Agile) really is just a contextual detail. The "how" (that is, the
human-centered and sincere invitation that OST represents) is the real
name of the game.

As a meeting format, Open Space is nothing without the invite (and in
fact, is likely quite dead-on-arrival without it.)

Further, and to Michael's point, OST is not a mere tool, it is a
practice. And of exactly what type is this practice?

My current belief is that certain aspects of spiritual life do manifest
in private, org-specific Open Space events. I feel feelings of privilege
and something sacred going on at some of these private OST events. And
so I think I must now assert: I believe Open Space is at the core a
spiritual practice. I have written about liminality and do think
liminality is a kind of collectiive (not just individual) spiritual
condition, that orgs do experience this condition together (often, as
grief) and that Open Space does a wonderful job of creating a point at
which things can tip from liminality and despair to some new order of
things, and hope.

Lastly, I must reiterate that in Open Agile Adoption, the goal is to
institute a recurring, open, cultural event on the organization's
calendar. The suggestion (not a mandate) in OAA is to schedule an Open
Space event of at least 1 day in January and July. This idea is a page
from the cultural playbook described in SPIRIT, which discusses the high
cultural value of a recurring cultural holiday. Such holidays are
anticipated by the group, and serve to remind members of what they
value, and remind them about "the story", which is how we make sense of
things in groups.

And so, when Harrison says:

"...So maybe the order of precedence should go the other way? Use Agile
to introduce Open Space, and then abolish Agile. Or, if you like ...
Self-Organization is the natural agility. It doesn't get any better than
that. "

My reply is:
"Hell yes!"

http://sivers.org/hellyeah

Dan

On 9/27/13 9:31 PM, Michael Herman wrote:
> [...]
>>             anthems of the agile and scrum communities. I hope that
>>             the Open Space community will step up and help the Agile
>>             community to do that.
>>
>>                 Thanks,
>>                 Harold
>>

>>             On 9/22/13 10:45 AM, Harrison Owen wrote:
>>>
>>>             Dan wrote: "I've learned that there are actually more
>>>             ways to fail with Open Space in Agile adoptions than
>>>             there are ways to succeed. There are many ways to
>>>             stumble when trying this."
>>>
>>>             Actually, Dan -- I am not at all surprised. I learned a
>>>             long time ago that Open Space is a terrible way to
>>>             introduce some new process, and especially to assure
>>>             "buy in." Typically, problems arise because folks take
>>>             Open Space seriously. Instead of buying into the
>>>             proposed process, they begin to invent their own!
>>>             Somewhere I wrote that OS was a great way to design a
>>>             new accounting system, but a horrible way to "implement" it.
>>>
>>>             And just to be contrarian... I wonder whether the
>>>             failure is a function of Open Space or Agile (and/or the
>>>             SCRUM flavor of Agile)? As I think we have come to
>>>             understand, Open Space is a total scam if people mistake
>>>             it for some process we invented or "do." It is simply an
>>>             invitation to be what we always have been -- self
>>>             organizing. The process itself (SO) has been around for
>>>             some time, and apparently has done quite well, witness
>>>             the fact that we, along with all the rest of the Cosmos
>>>             are here and seemingly functional. In a "face off"
>>>             between a well functioning self-organizing system and
>>>             any process we might have designed to create the system,
>>>             install the system, or enhance the system -- the
>>>             designed process doesn't have a chance. The reason is
>>>             simple. No matter how wise, careful, diligent or
>>>             skillful we may be -- our creation is inevitably clunky.
>>>             We may get the big blocks right, even some of the finer
>>>             points, but at the end of the day we always miss the
>>>             nuances -- and as always, the devil is in the details.
>>>             Put somewhat differently, our designed processes are
>>>             always "averages" of what we think the process should
>>>             look like. And "averages" do not exist anywhere in
>>>             nature. To push an "average" on a natural system is
>>>             always to make it function at some sub-optimal level,
>>>             and usually to kill it.
>>>
>>>             So maybe the order of precedence should go the other
>>>             way? Use Agile to introduce Open Space, and then abolish
>>>             Agile. Or, if you like ... Self-Organization is the
>>>             natural agility. It doesn't get any better than that. Or
>>>             something
>>>
>>>             Harrison
>>>
>>>             Harrison Owen
>>>
>>>             7808 River Falls Dr.
>>>
>>>             Potomac, MD 20854
>>>
>>>             USA
>>>
>>>             189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)
>>>
>>>             Camden, Maine 04843
>>>
>>>             Phone 301-365-2093 <tel:301-365-2093>
>>>
>>>             (summer) 207-763-3261 <tel:207-763-3261>
>>>
>>>             www.openspaceworld.com
>>>
>>>             www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
>>>
>>>             To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the

(203) 915 7248 (cell)