[OSList] The OST Game

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Sat Oct 26 05:55:04 PDT 2013

A wonderful conversation in the works...my replies appear below...

On 10/24/13 1:29 PM, Jenifer Toksvig wrote:
> Re: [OSList] The OST Game Dan wrote: >> Consider the man who loves a
> certain woman, and waits for the current trend of her interest in him
> to change. He is goal seeking without controlling. Likewise,
> trend-following market traders do not attempt to create, control or
> make trends. They simply identify & ride them, while seeking wealth. <<
>
> Waiting and seeking are still forms of controlling.
Yes, they are forms of governing one self. Actually, this is a very
narrow and focused form of control: control of one's self. We often
refer to this as 'discipline', which is distinct from the more general
word 'control'. Self-discipline vs. attempted control of others, if you
will.
> Your loving man has chosen to wait for his goal rather than (to coin a
> phrase) being prepared to be surprised by another woman.
The man in the hypothetical situation has a current goal, which is to be
in relationship with a certain woman. He watches and follows the trend
of her interest. This does not mean he is blind to what the wider
environment might be offering now.
> He may not be trying to control her, but he's still trying to control
> the situation in a way that he thinks will allow him to achieve his goal.
It sounds like 'the situation' you mention above is: "him or her self."
That's discipline of self, not control of others.

> Those who seek wealth do likewise: they don't randomly ride the
> trends, they identify them and make choices about how to ride them, in
> order to obtain wealth. That is control.
Um, if you mean control of one's responses, if you mean self-goverance,
self-discipline then yes. Controlling one self is generally a good idea,
is it not?

> I don't think it's possible to be goal-oriented and try to exert some
> kind of control over the process, unless your goal is... to have no goal.
I think you mean
"...I don't think it's possible to be goal-oriented and NOT try to exert
some kind of control over the process.."

If that's the case, I agree 100% goal-oriented requires self-control,
aka "discipline". Trend-trading markets traders without discipline
routinely lose money. Individuals without self-control routinely create
problems for themselves.
> Actually, even being prepared to be surprised is a goal. A sort of
> wonderfully ridiculous one.
Yes, and the statement itself is: directive. Wait, whats that doing in OST?

> Jen x
>
> *Jenifer Toksvig
> *www.acompletelossforwords.com
>
> *The Copenhagen Interpretation