[OSList] The OST Game

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Thu Oct 24 10:11:42 PDT 2013

Phelim,

Thanks so much for responding to the mention of the work of James P.
Carse again. It's such an elegant, simple, and yet profound book. Many
of the simplest sentences in the book almost sound like poetry.

"A finite game is played for the purpose of winning, an infinite game
for the purpose of continuing the play."

Jane McGonical, author of "Reality is Broken" was aware of Carse's work
and quotes his distinction between finite and infinite games. However,
there are finite games where no one person has to win. Alistair
Cockburn, in his book "Agile Software Development", has a chart which
lists 3 categories of games:

1. finite, goal-directed games
2. finite, non-goal directed games
3. infinite games.

Interestingly, in the finite goal-directed he includes software
development. Because even in this realm of finite goal-directed games,
there doesn't have to be a single winner. Software Development, perhaps
like an Open Space Technology conference, is a *NON-ZEROSUM GAME*.

Alistair calls Software Development a "cooperative game of invention and
communication". An open space conference can also be seen as a finite
cooperative game. Maybe there is no goal we all can declare victory
with, but there's a theme, a purpose.

Carse's work justifiably pillories the dreadful win/lose zero-sum game
philosophy prevalent in society. But I don't think Carse is trying to
eliminate goal seeking games. In fact, he even seems to be opposed to
getting rid of evil. "Evil arises in the honored belief that history can
be tidied up, brought to a sensible conclusion... Infinite players
recognize the inescapable likelihood of evil. They therefore do not try
to eliminate evil in others, for to do so is the very impulse of evil
itself, and therefore a contradiction."

But here's the real zinger of that chapter, "Evil is not the inclusion
of finite games in an infinite game, but the restriction of all play to
one or another finite game."

The greater self-organizing principles and practice and philosophy of
Open Space Technology solidly resides in the realm of the one infinite
game, the game of life itself. And a well played Open Space conference,
we'll all be infinite players, also playing a finite game and there will
be many other invites to play finite games - as a butterfly that
attracts a butterfly session or conversation, or as a regular session
convener who announces in the circle and posts something on the wall.

Another example of a finite game serving an infinite one - we have the
example of improv games. A good improv instructor brings in games to
help the troupe or students advance in their infinite game of just
getting better at improvisation. Yet, the games usually have a clear
beginning and ending, wierd goals and objectives and rules. But the ends
are always ultimately playing in the field of the infinite game. Of
getting better.

Sorry to poke Jane's ideas again into this forum - but it feels so much
in the spirit of Open Space to mention that one of Jane's most powerful
influences is Bernie DeKoven. Bernie was involved in a sort of social
movement in the seventies called the New Games movement. The purpose of
that movement was to "reinvent sports to be more cooperative, more
social, and more inclusive." Bernie was one of the authors in 1976 of
the out of print "New Games Book". Bernie is a "leading play theorist"
still today. He's very fond of cooperative non-zero sum games. The
article of Bernie's that Jane read so often the page in her copy of the
book is very worn is "Creating the Play Community". In many ways, Jane's
book is an attempt to revive this cooperative and inclusive spirit of
that New Games movement - as part of the greater infinite game of life -
in the spirit and presence of community.

And this is the same infinite game of life, that Open Space Technology
has contributed so elegantly and beautifully to. I'm grateful to see us
starting to notice each other - us wonderful infinite players. Be it in
games, agile, or open space facilitation.

     Harold

Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>
http://shinsato.com