[OSList] The OST Game

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Wed Oct 9 09:53:48 PDT 2013

Thanks Harrison, I *think* I hear what you're saying. There is a lot of
cultural baggage around the word game. But I'm really not hearing that
you're getting what I'm saying.

As I tried to convey unsuccessfully alas, and maybe this is a dead
letter attempt and I should only speak latin here (being in Rome), but
there is no REAL vs. SIMULATION context at all in what Dan or I are
trying to convey. That's why I quoted Dr. Carse about there being "only
one infinite game". We are addressing a very REAL game. The game of
Life. Not fake or pretend.

The sense of the word game that is being put forward as helpful to this
community is not in any way restricted to the software community. There
certainly are insights coming from the world of game design that have
been referenced earlier - and which even from your own writings in the
use of the term 'play' that feel in alignment with what this community
is trying to accomplish. And this is also an area of growing popular
interest.

Case in point - Jane McGonigal wrote a best seller "Reality is Broken"
which includes much relevant modern psychology as well as ideas from
game design which is driving real and palpable investments in an
extremely broad community, including for example social justice. Her
basic thesis is that we can bring insights from what she speaks of as a
huge abandonment and immigration away from "Reality" into the "Pretend"
world of flickering images and twitching fingers on gaming console
buttons, to fix reality to make it more fun and engaging so more people
can work on real problems but with the benefits of the insights from
good game design.

The realm of the word "game" is rich with opportunity and actual
investments that will not just help engage the software community, but
everyone.

     Harold