[OSList] The OST Game

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Oct 9 08:10:14 PDT 2013

Harold - Conversation surely continues! Never fear!! And I surely hear what
you are saying, but as I commented to Dan in a private note - "Never fear
Dan. I think I do understand. As an old gamer, having used both the theory
and practice extensively in the '70's for the development of health care
policy and programs, I am profoundly aware of the power and the
possibilities. As I used to say in those ancient days - Gaming allows us to
do in pretend time what is impossible or illegal to do in real time. Covers
a lot of bases and gets a lot done. That said, I would never use gaming when
I could play for real. I just went for it. I think that may be the source of
my discomfort when "game" is attached to OS. As far as I am concerned - when
in Open Space, we are "going for it for real." It ain't a game.

Your use of the words and concepts certainly make sense given the context
and the community you are addressing (Agile, Scrum, etc.) But I am just not
sure that they translate well into a broader and different community. I have
and certainly can be very wrong, but I've always found that when in Rome a
little Latin will do J"

My real point is that when seeking to help us understand what Dan is all
about (and it is a marvelous project), his phrasing may not be the most
felicitous. Then again my difficulty may well be an advanced case of
hardening of the neuronal pathways. Happens J J

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: