[OSList] Open Space Economics? Be Prepared to be Surprised!

alan at alanhalford.com.au alan at alanhalford.com.au
Tue Oct 1 20:40:03 PDT 2013

Loverly Michael!
Sunny day in the wild west of OZ
Alan

Alan Halford
Director
The Conflict Company

www.conflictcompany.com.au
0421 475 252
Skype: alanhalford

On 02/10/2013, at 11:34 AM, Michael Herman <michael at michaelherman.com> wrote:

I can't ever remember "attempting to circumvent power dynamics," Bui.  While it's quite common when people talk about sitting in a circle they say things like, "...the circle makes everyone equal."  I always disagree.  The circle gives everyone equal access to all the others in the circle, the markers and paper and microphone at the center, and the bulletin board gives everyone the same access to all of the info that is generated.  It doesn't make them equal, the ceo has an entirely different set of skills, resources, experiences, concerns than the new intern.  But as a facilitator, I give everyone the same job:  learn and contribute as much as you can, from wherever you are, with whatever you have at your disposal.  serve the common purpose.

none of this attempts or requires any circumventing.  i think ost works in spite of whatever the power structure might be, once people show up.  maybe the invitation tweaks the power structure -- but if the invite comes from the top, then it's the top giving power away -- hardly a circumvention, and certainly not the facilitator attempting.  if the invite bubbles up from somewhere below, then it's the lower ranks claiming power for themselves.  so i think any shifting of power arises because invitation exists as an option, not because anything we do in the process of 'opening space.'  i think ost is just one way of pointing out that invitation is possible and the ost story is pretty much the same in all kinds of different "power" distributions.

or maybe i just don't understand.  what do you do to notice and recognize power imbalances?  and how have you seen this improve the ost experience for people?