[OSList] Open Space Economics? Be Prepared to be Surprised!

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue Oct 1 20:34:42 PDT 2013

I can't ever remember "attempting to circumvent power dynamics," Bui.
 While it's quite common when people talk about sitting in a circle they
say things like, "...the circle makes everyone equal."  I always disagree.
 The circle gives everyone equal access to all the others in the circle,
the markers and paper and microphone at the center, and the bulletin board
gives everyone the same access to all of the info that is generated.  It
doesn't make them equal, the ceo has an entirely different set of skills,
resources, experiences, concerns than the new intern.  But as a
facilitator, I give everyone the same job:  learn and contribute as much as
you can, from wherever you are, with whatever you have at your disposal.
 serve the common purpose.

none of this attempts or requires any circumventing.  i think ost works in
spite of whatever the power structure might be, once people show up.  maybe
the invitation tweaks the power structure -- but if the invite comes from
the top, then it's the top giving power away -- hardly a circumvention, and
certainly not the facilitator attempting.  if the invite bubbles up from
somewhere below, then it's the lower ranks claiming power for themselves.
 so i think any shifting of power arises because invitation exists as an
option, not because anything we do in the process of 'opening space.'  i
think ost is just one way of pointing out that invitation is possible and
the ost story is pretty much the same in all kinds of different "power"
distributions.

or maybe i just don't understand.  what do you do to notice and recognize
power imbalances?  and how have you seen this improve the ost experience
for people?

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)