[OSList] Power / Be Prepared to be Surprised!

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Oct 2 05:10:06 PDT 2013

Maybe the issue here isn't the "circumvention of power", but rather the
redefinition of power? In the ordinary scheme of things we consider that the
CEO has "power" because he has the position. To me this has always been a
very false and misleading sense of power, if only because it is arbitrarily
imposed. There is power there, but in a funny way it is consensual power.
That sort of power remains powerful so long as everybody thinks it does.
Very much like the Emperor and his clothes. Even though he is buck naked, he
is attired resplendently, so long as everybody thinks he is. But should one
small boy...

Power in Open Space is of a very different sort, but no less present. Power
in Open Space manifests whenever and wherever Passion and Responsibility
effectively join, creating what I have called a Circle of Caring - which is
actually a power vortex from which real action, new ideas, change may
emerge. You can also call this Leadership. This vortex can center on anyone
present - Leadership (power) is therefore distributed and specific to the
task, people, and task. In a word it is not arbitrary. Once the Circles of
Caring form, the Open Space is off - POWERFULLY!

Now an interesting question. Which view of power is accurate? Or one might
say correct or effective? I believe it is the second sort. Not because it is
nice, moral, ethical, the politically correct thing to - but because it is a
totally natural situation. I would suggest that the power we experience in
Open Space is the way things really are. Power as imaged by the CEO Model is
pretty much illusory.

Heretically Yours,

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: