[OSList] OS for Dementia?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Nov 14 08:27:38 PST 2013

Doug -- I've been a little slow to respond to this one. Slowness seems to
come with advancing years. To your question -- OS for folks with Dementia?
Why not?

If nothing else that population of folks would probably include just about
everybody over 65. Of course, Dementia comes in a variety of flavors from
mild to horrific, but those of us of a certain age have more than a little
existential experience with the critter. It is a little upsetting,
sometimes. The name of your best friend which evaporated. Those lost
eyeglasses that you suddenly find on your nose. Finding yourself standing in
the middle of a familiar room with absolutely no idea about why you were
there, and what on earth you came to do. It happens. Been there...

So, OS for Dementia? Certainly, unless of course those of us so afflicted
have suddenly been excluded from the sacred circle of Homo sapiens. And
actually, I don't really think there is much choice. Fact is (I find), all
the world is self organizing (open space) and life goes better for those who
have learned, in one way or another, to navigate that world. Life gets
clunky, closed and (more) painful when we make the mistake of thinking we
are actually in charge. I think this is true for all of us, but for those of
us with diminished(ing) mental capacity there are some special traps along
the way.

For example, take the situation of the forgotten name. We can sit there and
agonize over the lapse of memory. We can beat on ourselves for being so
forgetful. We can remember (oh yes, we do remember some things!) how the
proper name just sprang instantly to mind...

With a little effort we can feel totally miserable, and our misery is
compounded by the fact that the harder we try to remember, the more distant
that elusive name seems to become. But there is a solution -- Just let it
go! More often than not, once we let go, the all important name miraculously
appears. And if it doesn't... A smile is often better than proper
nomenclature.

A little Open Space is good for just about everything and everybody. And I
have to admit that I have forgotten all the things it isn't good for.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854
USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)
Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093
(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org