[OSList] OS for Dementia?

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 12:59:15 PST 2013

Dear Doug,
if you are the facilitator for such a potential gathering, urge the
sponsor to have his planning group discuss which approach should be taken.
If you are the sponsor, find a facilitator that will work with you and
your planning group to deal with the questions you are raising.

The questions you are raising are routinely discussed by the system
itself (via the venue of the planning group). The planning group needs
to have a way to share their needs/goals/expectations, arrive at the
theme for the event and decide who needs to be at the event (in addition
to themselves) so that their expectations under the theme they choose
will be met.

The planning group should "mirror" the "system" that is expected to be
at the event: people with dementia, teenagers, families, professional
caretaker, neighbors... the sponsor creating the planning group will
know best.

In seemingly difficult or impossibe situations its best to stick to the
"normal" way. The main reason for that is that the facilitator can stay
focused on expanding time and space for all the steps leading up to and
during and after the event. From the very outset, long before the event,
all things that the system can do (and it is about everything in my
experience) they should do... this is a sure fire way to have
selforganisation take over.

Have a great weekend
mmp