[OSList] preparing an Osonos

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 20:13:13 PDT 2013

Dear Eleder,

How wonderful that you are convening an OSonOS and that you have sent the
invitation to more than 150 people.  Having just convened a WOSonOS,  I
would simply say enjoy yourself and let your big heart and warm welcome
shine through.

You already love Open Space and know so much, facilitating OSonOS is so
very special, such a privilege and all you need to do is keep it simple and
be you.

Of course I would suggest the longer the better.... 2.5 days, 3 days.
Everyone will then tell you that time went by so fast; for facilitators, it
is such a treat to be participants and indeed I think doing this is
important and makes us better facilitators because of it. We get to indulge
in the deeper conversations, we get to create stronger bonds of community,
we have the chance to enjoy being with each other. Lifelong friendships
often result.

It is nice to have a small host team who plan and work  together holding
and sharing the space for a heartfelt welcome.  We also involved a number
of young leaders who worked shoulder to shoulder with people who were older
to plan the event. We learned a lot from each other -- as if we were
ageless. It gave a freshness and renewed energy in ways that are hard to
describe. These connections and relationships are still going strong.
Personal invitation over the phone, by email with many inviting, and
face-to-face conversations were critical for us too.

We had a theme about Open Space which stated "The World is waiting... are
we ready?"  It was an optional theme one that added to the learning and
sharing that normally happens in Open Space on Open Space.  I think what it
did was open even more space, wider space.

We also had a few training events (with Diane Gibeault and Lisa Heft) in
the months and days before our event thereby giving people in the community
"the experience of being in Open Space" and many then joined us at WOSonOS.
It was a way to spread the practice and to keep the spirit alive in our
community afterwards.  We wanted to leverage our event as much as possible.

We even partnered with a University on the location and in the process,
faculty, staff and leadership joined our event.

Perhaps some evening activities with spontaneous song and dance would be
nice.  We only had a reception that first night and then everyone
self-organized a few things that they wanted to do... beach with a gang, a
Conversare with Alan Stewart or dinner with faraway colleagues in beautiful
St. Petersburg.

Yes Harrison would say, keep it simple. I agree... along the lines of "one
less thing to do" and what we discovered is that by not being burdened by
unnecessary tasks, we could then do the stuff we really like to do which
did not  feel like work.

All of this is not to say that it wasn't bumpy at times.  You wonder how
many people will actually come. You hope that things will turn out ok on
the money side even though you are trying to keep expenses low. You learn
that a lot happens at the last minute; that people decide late.   But like
childbirth, if you trust the process, in those final weeks, you will feel a
calm and as you open the space and the child is born, you forget the
contractions and it's just the same as always, you hold the space and magic
happens.

It will happen near Bilboa, near the Basque country and it will be special.
I am very sure of that!

Suzanne

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group