[OSList] Art of Hosting in universities

Alan Stewart alan at multimindsolutions.com
Sat Dec 28 20:32:59 PST 2013

Dear All

 I have two queries re training of Art of Hosting
(AoH)<http://www.artofhosting.org/>and its constituent conversational
processes in universities.

 These relate to my being inspired by how AoH is being used in higher
education in the US, particularly at the University of
<http://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/155523>Minnesota<http://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/155523>(UMN)
and at Ohio State University.

See my posts of 26 August 2013 Re: [aoh] Cultivating Change in the Academy
- an eBook from the University of Minnesota and of 18 September 2013 on
'The future of universities.'

Having been university lecturer for most of my salaried professional  life
- including being a Senior Fulbright Scholar at Stanford University in the
early 80s - I well recognise the wonderful difference this could make to
the culture of higher education.

And wish to introduce this into a particular university in Australia, to
begin with.

*Query 1- The role of the AoH practitioner*

Do I understand correctly that it is, *in this kind of instance* to:

(a) demonstrate the potential of AoH approaches to the realisation of the
purposes of the institution.

(b) provide training for staff and associates in order for them to be able
and autonomous in taking the processes forward.

(c) provide ongoing mentoring and coaching where appropriate for 'rolling
out.'

In my experience, primarily as a practitioner of Open Space Technology
(OST) since 1994 and the World Cafe (TWC) since 1998, either separately or
in combination, I have not trained 'clients' in their use.

*Query 2 - Length of training in AoH and in its constituent components*

 Training in OST by people such as Lisa Heft, eg at the most recent
annualWorld Open Space on Open Space
(WOS)<http://wosonos2013.crowdvine.com/>took 3 days. Training in the
WorldCafe (TWC) <http://www.theworldcafe.com/history.html>as offered by Amy
Lenzo and colleagues also takes 3 days.

And yet training in AoH which covers how to facilitate these two and more
also is given in 3 days.

 Does it happen that people who have done the latter feel able and
confident to be facilitate any of the components of AoH? Or do people
within an organisation such as UMN adopt leading roles in, eg facilitating
OST events?

 Looking forward to being enlightened. <smile>

 With good wishes to all for productive and fun enterprising in 2014.

Go well

Alan

*Alan Stewart, PhD Facilitator of conversations that matter and
participatory fun Based in Adelaide and operating throughout Austral-Asia*

*Em: alan at multimindsolutions.com <alan at multimindsolutions.com> Web:
www.multimindsolutions.com <http://www.multimindsolutions.com> (being
updated)*

*Mob: +61413848680 <%2B61413848680>*

*Tw: @alpalstewart*

*Blog: Conversare <http://conversare.net>*

*Skype: alan.stewart326 Stand-up:
http://www.takeoutcomedy.com/site/comedians/alan-stewart/
<http://www.takeoutcomedy.com/site/comedians/alan-stewart/>*

*New e-book Time to converse - at the heart of human warmth
<http://amzn.to/18dxS2P>*