[OSList] Open Agile Adoption, Part 2

Daniel Mezick dan at newtechusa.net
Mon Aug 19 10:34:34 PDT 2013

Greetings to All,

First of all, I apologize for taking so long in communicating further.
This summer I emptied and sold a house, moved into another....

...and I became a grandfather!

Here's a pic of the new wonderful baby person, Clara Louise, Aug 6:
https://twitter.com/DanMezick/status/367104332493119488/photo/1

All of that AND some technical glitches communicating with you all via
OSTLIST. Special thanks to Harold Shinsato for helping me overcome
OSTLIST technical-interface problems.

Will you please accept my apology for being away for so long?

The Global Scrum Gathering keynote is September 24, and of course I plan
to explain Open Agile Adoption with OST during my address.
I'm writing blog posts on the components, preparing my presentation, and
pretty much scaring myself to death at the prospect of the 600-700
people who will be present.

I know we have a huge story to tell about the utility of using Open
Space during Agile adoptions, and I am working very hard to prepare, and
to make sure I represent Open Space in the best possible light with
respect to its surprising (and often amazing) usefulness inside Agile
adoptions.

Leading up to the Scrum Gathering, I plan to post fresh information here
on OSTLIST as I create it, and also inside the Open Agile Adoption group
on FaceBook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/openagileadoption/
...if you are a member, will you do some "likes", comments and maybe
some posts there?!? Special thanks to Suzanne for quickly posting some
comments!

There are several blog posts up now, and you can always see up-to-date
information at www.OpenAgileAdoption.com.

The Picture

Here are 3 blog posts that sketch out some of the sociological and
psychological issues that exist in Agile Adoptions, and how an approach
based on invitation & especially Open Space can help address these issues.

I want and need to be clear that I have composed some elements, nothing
more. For example, the passage-rite concept is ancient. I have simply
found a useful place to apply it in the modern world. Open Agile
Adoption creates a modern passage rite, to help get the folks from here
to there.

Likewise, the canonical form of Open Space as described in the Guide is
used. It is used to dramatically increase engagement, on the hypothesis
that engagement is the very fuel of a good and lasting Agile adoption.
Storytelling is another core component. It's as old as the hills. I have
not created anything new here. On the contrary: Open Agile Adoption
composes some very ancient ideas into a cultural experience-design for
modern tribes

Here are the most recent posts:

On Liminality
http://newtechusa.net/agile/liminality/

On Passage Rites
http://newtechusa.net/agile/on-passage-rites/

People, Then Practices: On Mandates
http://newtechusa.net/agile/people-then-practices/

I am busy as a bee now, documenting all the elements of Open Agile
Adoption technique. I plan to share early and often with the members of
this list as the documentation is completed. Thanks for your patience!

Agile Orientation for OSTLIST Members

It came to my attention via Harold Shinsato that some folks on this list
might like to get an orientation on Agile, and how Open Space fits
there. If you are reading this and new to Agile and want an orientation,
I am willing to schedule a concall at a convenient time using Maestro
conference, which is a wonderful tool for doing that kind of work. Will
you let me know if a brief Agile orientation (with some lively Q&A)
interests you? If enough people express interest, I will schedule an
event where we can hop on a call, do a brief orientation, and get some
Q&A going.

Thanks for suspending your disbelief, and for being so kind!

Best Regards,
Dan

--

Daniel Mezick, President