[OSList] WOSonOS2013... Book of Proceedings and more

Alan Stewart alan at multimindsolutions.com
Tue Aug 6 23:28:06 PDT 2013

Dear Suzanne and Gang

What an amazing set of proceedings and associated items you and your
colleagues have composed so beautifully and so 'wholesomely.' What
astonishing imagination you injected into the very idea of
co-creating these collations of happenings at the Grand Gathering and of
their antecedents.

All of which are likely to be widely appreciated by those who were most
privileged to be present, along with 'Spaceniks' located far and wide and
other interested spirits everywhere. Your gifts will be savoured down
through the generations!

I send you my heartfelt congratulations for the munificence of love and
effort which went into setting up the happy event and now in making much of
what transpired there available for all to see around our little
planet, 3rdfrom the sun. Those who co-created all dimensions of the
enterprise can be
truly proud.

For in 'poking around' these proceedings I am struck by how much richness
has been captured and now distributed in such readily accessible forms.
Real cutting edge courage and skills to do this!

An example of what captured my attention was an item from the
session 'Using Technology to Deepen Dialogue Within / In the Room' viz

"Dawn had a great comment - to think about asking different audience
sections (yes, this is lines of chairs facing forward - cannot change that
room set for this particular 1-hour session) to listen for and respond to
something slightly different than the other sections - to show more depth
and breadth of what people were noticing in what was being said and shared.
An example: Group 1) Listen for what surprised you. Group 2) Listen for
what challenges you.  And so on. Of course our question design will also
depend on our technical capabilities and complexities, as everything
informs everything, design-wise.”

These kind of questions are in tune with what I bring to bear as a
professional facilitator/host and will incorporate in my future activities.

Just one other ‘emerging’ for me to mention here was a meeting with a
person who ‘popped in’ to WOS2013 virtually. When Francois Knuchel appeared
on a laptop screen during one of the breakout sessions I said to him,

“I look forward to meeting you in London when *en route* home.” Which
happened at Heathrow Airport - Francois lives nearby - shortly before I
boarded my flight to Adelaide via Kuala Lumpur. We had a delightful time
together, during which the subject of ‘Sociocracy’ or ‘Dynamic
Governance’<http://www.sociocracy.info/what-is-sociocrac/>arose in the
conversation. I had convened a 'What if? kind of topic at
WOS2013 on this and he is well versed in this new approach to governance of
self organising enterprises.

Since then Francois and I have had lively email exchanges - very helpful
for me - to do with a substantial project being developed by a university
here in Adelaide in which a Sociocratic approach may become integral. I
have been invited to facilitate a planning workshop in preparation for
their grant application. Watch this space for what may develop from this
‘chance’? connection with Francois ...

Which brings me to suggest that you have a look at my recent posts on
Conversare <http://conversare.net/>, a topic which I also convened at
WOS2013 <http://conversare.net/?p=1237>. This is about co-creating contexts
in which whoever comes engages well among strangers purely for the
experience and joy of the encounters. See insightful comments on this
of Suzanne
and of Seth Godin <http://conversare.net/?p=1292> to gain a sense of what
others perceive the significance of doing this could be.

One such is that spending time being consciously interested in others, who
may initially be strangers, expressed by asking questions and listening
with attention, is a gift to the recipient(s) - and to oneself. Is initiating
a conversation sometimes one of the greatest gifts can give to another?
 While we may not ever know the significance of doing this with particular
people we may have inklings. Do we do well to act on these anyway?

Another relates to the notion that ‘The way we treat our planet is a
reflection of how we treat each other – and *ourselves (thanks Chris Weaver*)
...’

With warm regards from somewhat cool (being winter here) Downunder. <smile>

Looking forward

Go well

Alan

Alan Stewart, PhD
Adelaide

PS To bring this to your attention …

*Whenever we treat each other well good things happen. *

See my new e-booklet Time to converse – at the heart of human
warmth<http://www.multimindsolutions.com/?page_id=243>now available on
Amazon