[OSList] OS hotline reminder - in 40 minutes! + Harvesting

Tricia Chirumbole tricia at investorswithoutborders.net
Tue Aug 6 08:23:02 PDT 2013

Hi all!

OS hotline skype is convening in 40 minutes at 12pm EDT - follow link or
email me to sign up: OS marketplace <http://tinyurl.com/nxbndq8>

Also, following are notes from our previous two hotline skypes - enjoy!

*OS hotline skype – July 23, 2013*

* *

*Website advice request: *Tricia requests advice about including a section
on her impending OS website about group’s “assessing readiness” with a few
rhetorical questions.

-          Question is why include? A formal assessment tool is not
recommended

-          Situational questions are suggested as possibly valuable.

-          Voluntary participation is important

*Action/product development in open space*: Why don’t we do this more, or
talk about this more – tons of opportunities.

-          Paul co-authored a book entirely in Open Space (editing done
outside, but this was due to time constraints)

-          Link from book that Paul co-authored – wrote book in three days,
each session was a chapter – peak experiences in life producing a real
artifact in Open space tech:
http://pure.au.dk/portal/files/292/Thin_book_OT.pdf

-          Interest among group in exploring these possibilities.

-          Reference Leadership article by Bob Marshall that was circulated
on OS list – People like agile, but is a better product delivered because
people are enjoying the process of scrum/agile?

-          Conversation with a friend who thinks something like that could
only work if the whole organization was in the room, stuck in hierarchy,
can’t do anything without approval.

-          Envision: Open space happening on building site with machines
and materials – just getting things done – have some items pre-determined,
so that you don’t need more approvals

-          In the arts in the UK there is a great event happening for
years, takes place in the ruins of a castle, mainly programed, everyone
works on renovating this castle – do a 3 or  4 day OS and day 2 is an
invitation to renovate a garden in venue we are meeting, everyone creates
something

-          Envision:  to do an OS on urban planning and actually build
something – you can talk about it, and talk about it, but actually build it

*Example of action-oriented open-spacey approach in practice: *Young people
running a web design company somewhere in UK - doing something like opening
space, but getting things done, not just talking. They would convene in a
space, talk about goals/plans, identify what various people planned to work
on in some relative order/timeline – then break off in groups depending on
what strikes them and reconvene at lunch/later in day.

*We need Open Space research! *Get $$ for research about developing
products/doing things in open space – who’s in? Some in group would like to
move on it.

-          Lack of university-based research on Open space, or collecting
of data beyond anecdotes.

-          Could be much bigger and much wider use of Open Space if there
were academic verification – never been able to get more than a few
thousand pounds in Brighton – if we can prove OS works in practice and not
just in theory

-          Feeling that Open Space could be the environmental solution for
the earth. The flow, more efficient than blundering human intervention.

-          Could probably do crowd funding, a lot of sources in the US.

-          Templeton foundation putting out RFPs for research, academics
without walls, access to a nonprofit institute that we can work from.

-          If a particular field of activity gets the attention of 6
journal articles, research funding follows

-          You would then have a better chance, for example, to get OS in
Africa more on the back of aid agencies. They can’t spend their money
without some verification, such as academic, more just anecdotally based
research practice.

-          Paul has been collecting pictures of OS circles, OS videos.
Finds people are using this to bring to their organization to sell OS –
missed how he figured this out….

*OS public awareness: *

-          David Bohm, dialogue discussion on the web, etc., but open space
not mentioned.

-          Omnipresence is like that [suggesting open space is omnipresent]
– it is always there so you don’t see that, always present. We can’t see
something that is always with you. Someone points it out and then people
question why they haven’t seen it. Living processes are always with you so
you can’t see them.

*Suggested bedtime reading:*
http://www.communityresearch.org.nz/research/evaluation-report-open-space-technology-hui/

http://pure.au.dk/portal/files/292/Thin_book_OT.pdf

 OS Hotline skype – July 30, 2013

* *

Disclaimer: not complete, not fully accurate, and not in proper order…….

*Improv discussion:*

* *

Meisner technique – improv – an individual’s contribution needs to use the
words or phrases from previous statements of another person – can be
comedic, but turns into rapport among participants and a full play can be
created without a script

Check out: Fringereview.com

*Book recommendation:* Moral imagination – good book…..

*Listening: *Not sure if following tidbit came from above book: Studies (I
think studies) have found that when you are truly listening to someone,
your larynx begins vibrating in unison with theirs. Kind of like when you
realize you are finishing someone’s sentences. …

·         Relate to identifying an invitation for Open Space. If you truly
listen to the people involved, the theme and the words will present
themselves.

*Forced crafting of invitations: *We may demonize or idealize a situation
because we want it to come across as important. We need to use words that
are there in the community and do it without ego; the words usually come if
we can remove our ego.

*Do invitations need to always be stated in the positive? *We may be so
afraid of the dark that we try to make it all “touchy feely”, but then end
up not resonating with the real pain people are experiencing.

Affirmative/appreciative inquiry can be alienating, tell the truth about
what you see, don’t always need to go the positive route, say what is loud,
that which we feel most afraid of,

Is use of affirmative words OS –accepted wisdom? Is it short-sighted?

*Funny exercise:* Shake your head “yes” and then shake your head, “no” – No
shouldn’t feel right. Living organisms don’t understand a negative.
Children don’t understand a no, they respond to….missed it….

*Energy practice:* Jin Shin Jyutsu- ancient way of healing, fingers like
jumper cables referenced as early as 712, rediscovered early 1900s. No
energy in the human body moves horizontally…

*How do we practice to facilitate OS?*

·         Join in on OS hotline skypes, the OS list and discussions with
practitioners

·         Do it!

·         Read the OST guide

·         Shadow/co-facilitate open space events

·         Personal work: finding space within yourself – whatever ways work
for you.

·         Learn to trust yourself and trust the “process” – confidently
convey that and hold that trust.

*Controversy: *OS is very appropriate for situations of controversy

Open space for unlimited potential, people can walk out, but they don’t
tend to break the process, the circle can hold the anger.

Somewhere in the demon of the dictator there is the seed of truth – the
resistors and oppressors have something to teach us

* *

*Book reference: *Bernard Lievegoed, *The Developing Organization*

*When hosts want structure: *You can play the game of structure, talking up
superficial elements of OS to make them feel comfortable and allow them to
build confidence and trust – such as: noting defined times for opening
circle, lunch breaks, planned reporting deliverable, etc, but still not
change the essential elements.  *Use their words.*

--
Tricia Chirumbole
US: +1-571-232-0942