[OSList] Entirely-online OSs?

Richard Schultz richard at wisdomways.net
Sat Apr 20 09:21:44 PDT 2013

Hi James, Harold, Béatrice, and others interested,

I and a colleague, Eiwor Backelund, have developed an online OST process
using Blackboard Collaborate. This is the process that Harold participated
in through my website www.wisdomways.net and mentions in his email below.
However, we have now moved our process to a new website
www.collaborativeways.com. Eiwor and I are both co-owners of the Genuine
Contact™ Program, but as Harold says, the online OST process we have
developed is separate from Genuine Contact.

Our OST process stays very true to the in-person OST process. People gather
visually in an online circle at the beginning. A live facilitator holds
space and opens the space with the theme,  principles and law. There is a
blank agenda board where participants are invited to propose topics for
discussion and select the time and breakout space when they would like to
have the meeting. Participants can move themselves to the breakouts, use the
law of two feet to "bumblebee" from room to room and there is a butterfly
room where they can sit and reflect. There is a closing circle at the end
and if it is a multiple-day meeting, there is morning and evening news.

The Blackboard environment has whiteboards for notes and drawing, chat,
voice, emocons, desktop application sharing and video capability, so it is a
very rich environment to dialogue and create reports. We provide a Book of
Proceedings after the meeting. We have also done multi-day meetings
including convergence of ideas and action planning at the end of the
meeting. Our total capacity is about 100 participants with as many breakout
rooms as we like. Overall it is just like OST, except the rooms are online.
Because it is online, we also have the added capability of moving the topics
to online forums for further discussion between sessions or after the OST
meeting.

To get everyone comfortable with the technology prior to the online OST, we
have also added  a short online self-study course which allows them to test
their connections and get familiar with the online tools in Blackboard. We
did this because one of the biggest barriers that I have found to online
meetings is the unfamiliarity with the online interface or connection
issues. If something is not done prior to the online meeting, invariably the
meeting may get delayed trying to get people connected or productive in the
space.

If anyone would like to experience this, we have an free OST this coming
Thursday April 25 at 9am MST, (15:00 UTC/GMT) on the theme: Exploring
Conscious Capitalism. The meeting will not be recorded(except the written
reports) so please sign up only if you are intending to actually
participate. The link for more information and to register is:
<http://www.collaborativeways.com/April25ConsciousCapitalism>
http://www.collaborativeways.com/April25ConsciousCapitalism

Hope you can join in and play with us in a future OST meeting!

Blessings,
Richard Schultz
402-247-8042
CollaborativeWays