[OSList] Entirely-online OSs?

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Fri Apr 19 16:23:44 PDT 2013

James,

Online Open Space has been done a number of times.

The text based system that uses a very thorough Open Space Technology
grounding and is quite mature is Gabriele Ender's
http://www.openspace-online.com/.

Open Space Technology online with voice has been done with simple
teleconferencing lines - usually more than one. MaestroConference is
planning to add support for "Law of Two Feet" self-organizing - so
people can move themselves between breakout sessions. I don't think
they've completed it yet - but they have been actively working with our
community to make something to support online voice open space
technology events. http://maestroconference.com/

I think you could create an Open Space with multiple teleconference
lines and have people meet in one of them for the plenary - and then
hang up and move to other phone lines for the breakouts.
http://www.freeconferencing.com/ offers free telephone numbers for
teleconferences. They make their money because of a legal setup in the
U.S. that they get a portion of the local telephone company revenues of
those who call into their phone numbers. Christine Whitney Sanchez has
done some of the largest Open Space meetings with the Girl Scouts - and
she told me she used this multiple telephone conference line approach
successfully.

There is also Skype and Google Hangout - I'm not sure how easily these
would scale and I'd rather not be involved in the logistics of setting
something like that up. I've personally found it touch and go just to
hold a voice conference with these free offerings - but with some luck
and some savvy - it could be done.

An attempt was made a few years ago to design an Open Space Technology
online using http://secondlife.com - the 3D world where people meet
using avatars with both text and voice. It has worked for World Cafe',
but the experiment never completed for OST. It felt like the technology
overhead and learning curve was too steep - though it could work.

I participated a few months ago with a very successful online Open Space
for just a few hours. It is a platform using voice, text, and shared
graphics through a website. There have been a few invitations to try
this system. I did it November 2012. The online event was hosted by the
Genuine Contact community that Birgitt Williams started - though I don't
think it's officially a part of Genuine Contact - they do bring some of
that mature understanding of Open Space. http://wisdomways.net.

Just to be complete - Harrison Owen has said the Internet is one big
Open Space. People are self-organizing meetups constantly all over the net.

     Harold

On 4/19/13 3:55 PM, B.MELIN ALIDADE wrote:

> @james sounds interesting, I would very much like to know more, and
> even, to participate on line..
>
> I have never done this before, could be nice to think about it, (my
> Skype bea0102)
>
> Thanks, Béatrice Melin
>
> Marseilles, South of France

Harold Shinsato