[OSList] OSONOS Whenever, Wherever, with Whomsoever

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Oct 24 08:49:29 PDT 2012

quite right, harrison... all i'm trying to say -- or ask really -- is might
we not be asking too much of our would-be hosts?

might we not, as a community, be evolving our common expectation/definition
of what a "world" osonos is... with the result being that there is more
work for hosts, fewer hosting offers, more expensive and involved job of
hosting, increasing the risk to hosts, increasing the fee to participants,
increasingly complex website to collect the fees, increasing the need for
"access" support to discount the fees, all of which might at some point
muddy our demonstration of how really simple, elegant and powerful working
in open space really is, and yes, ultimately, leaning in a direction that
leads out of integrity?  -- yes that really is one big question AND each of
the steps along the way has important implications.

this is not something any one person did... it's something that's been
happening over 10 years or more, since we started globetrotting. maybe this
expanding role of hosting is just what it takes to have people come from
around the world, but that wasn't the experience for the first seven or
eight or nine years, nor at the osonos-by-the-sea events.  so maybe it's
not the world that demands this expanding role of wosonos host.  maybe
we're doing it to ourselves.  maybe we don't notice or don't care.  but
maybe we are slipping back into working too hard?  and maybe that is
limiting what ELSE might happen under the banner of osonos?

it's easy to propose more and more details.  it's very hard to propose less
and less... because the process of doing less for participants leads to
unseen gifts, which makes the case hard to prove.  so i'm just trying in so
many different ways to invite some exploration, or more active and
conscious conversation, about the ways we've been evolving one of our core
community practices.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)