[OSList] OSONOS Whenever, Wherever, with Whomsoever

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Wed Oct 24 09:49:50 PDT 2012

Amen to that! I hear proposals to do less all the time. If the hosting
process becomes a burden - what can I as a host do to bring it back to
being a joy? I suspect this is an never ending inquiry for Open Space hosts.

I love that Suzanne is making a strong case for doing less. I've been
hearing her repeat the mantra "What is One Less Thing to Do".

What seems to me even more important is that we do things from love,
joy, delight, and freedom. One less thing to do is not to hold an Open
Space event at all. And that's exactly what most people do. As a
community that thinks holding Open Space events is healing, beneficial,
just awesome - I'm hoping we can make the joy of these events so
powerful that they happen more often. In *all* kinds of flavors. Whether
hosts want to add a dance or a talk by Harrison or ping pong games or a
jaunt to the beach.

If the hosting party chooses to add things from a place of joy - yay for
them. London isn't a cheap town. Maybe we could have occupied a park and
made it cheaper. But I'm glad it happened the way it did. Knowing a bit
more than most about some of Phelim's work before the event because he
would talk about it at the Open Space Institute meetings - I think it
was the only thing that could have happened. And I for one loved WOSonOS
2012!

Michael, I love that you are making a case for doing less. And I also
cringe at what feels to me like pulling at the threads of what past
hosts have given and what future hosts will give in the future. But
thanks for challenging all of our integrity - as long as you don't mind
that usually is an invitation to have your own also challenged! But
please do - keep challenging us to do less. Maybe the future is indeed
that no one needs to host Open Space events anymore - because it's just
so organic that the job of the facilitator and host is no longer needed.
That sounds like paradise to me - how can we help do that?

There were several interesting sessions at the WOSonOS that touch on
these themes!

http://www.devotedanddisgruntled.com/events/world-open-space-open-space/reports/what-if-the-one-less-thing-to-do-is-facilitation/
http://www.devotedanddisgruntled.com/events/world-open-space-open-space/reports/personal-integrity-in-open-space-facilitation/
http://www.devotedanddisgruntled.com/events/world-open-space-open-space/reports/invisible-leadership/
http://www.devotedanddisgruntled.com/events/world-open-space-open-space/reports/os-circles-opening-evening-news-break-ups-without/

The last one was about doing open space without chairs. That's a cool
conversation because removing chairs brings options for lower cost.

     Harold