[OSList] OSONOS Whenever, Wherever, with Whomsoever (name change from "Peggy..."

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue Oct 23 13:22:11 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Artur Silva <arturfsilva at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael and all:****
>

> ****
> I really do not understand all this (these) conversation(s)...****
>

> ****
> First, all these conversations began with a post in a blog from someone
> that *is not* here! Then people began to "try to understand what he may
> have in his mind"... As far as he has been invited to come here and has not
> accepted, for me that discussion was over. (For those that are always
> reminding us of "the principles" I would say that if "whoever comes are the
> right people" *then* “whoever does not care to came are not"!)

i don't think anyone was "trying to understand" as much as some here read
something and found that it echoed some things they themselves have
experienced, even as it was noted that we might express it differently than
he did.  the blog post isn't important.  the experiences of the people who
are here are fair game for posting.

> ****
>

> ****
> Second, traditions - and even myth - are also part of a culture (in this
> case the culture of this particular community). I can understand quite well
> the reason why a North American community that until that had an annual
> meeting only in USA and Canada, when managed it to came to Europe and then
> to go to Asia, South America, etc. decided that it was time to give that
> meeting the name of Worldwide OSonOS (WOSonOS). The fact that there is a
> worldwide annual meeting of the all community and many different OSonOS at
> city, region, national, or transnational levels are not something that
> worries me. On the contrary, calling all those many meetings "worldwide"
> bothers me for one, and only one, reason - *it is not true*!

it might be very true... what is it that matters most?  the intention of
the host, who is invited, or who actually comes?  what about when the
invitation goes out worldwide, only locals come, and the proceedings are
shared via oslist, followed by some locals joining the list, perhaps?  what
if it's inspired directly by someone's experience at another osonos
gathering?  if the only criteria for calling them Wosonos is that people
from multiple countries participate, then we could never call them Wosonos
until after they happened!  it's the intention and the scope of the
invitation that matters.  and there is no reason that should be limited to
only once a year.

> ****
>

> ****
> Also begin to count all the OSonOS as if they were all equal or if that
> was possible (and, if possible, would be worth doing) is something that I
> can't understand. It is like counting all the OST events - they are
> innumerable by definition and the most one can say is that they are in
> excess of some number...

this was offered only for those who like to count things.  it's one way to
describe the scale, scope, depth, breadth that can't be captured in a
number or a label, but we try so many ways, anyway.

> ****
>

> ****
> I would prefer to analyze things the other way round. As the majority of
> WOSonOS are held in English as their main language (sometimes complemented
> with the opening and some sessions *also* in other language) can we call
> that "Worldwide"? I mean, for me it is not some much a question of location
> but a question of language. And even of origin: wouldn’t it be nice to have given
> access to WOSonOS2012 to the most interesting thing that happened in the
> worldwide community this year and have Egypt represented by an Egyptian?
> And wouldn't it be nice to have given access to WOSonOS2012 to the person
> that invited the community to Chile - or another that represented the
> organizing team of WOSonOS2011?

i don't know about giving access.  don't know if it was asked for.  i think
your point about worldwide and languages is a great one.  with one language
(mostly) and a smattering of countries, is any of these really worldwide?
 or are they all just osonos?  and why isn't that enough?  why does our
community practice need to be the designation of one W event each year?
 what if our community practice, the way we are worldwide, was that many of
us regularly convened open space events purely to focus on the practice of
open space -- and all the hosts of all those events made their invitations
known to everyone we know who might be interested -- worldwide.  every
event is an osonos... and the sum of them all is osonos worldwide.

what do you think, artur?  others?  dare we let osonos be bigger than a
single annual event?  that's what i want to find out!