[OSList] OSONOS Whenever, Wherever, with Whomsoever

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Tue Oct 23 15:04:17 PDT 2012

About the question of getting rid of the "W" - I find it hard to engage
in that question - so I'll counter with another.

The first place I heard about a World Open Space on Open Space was at an
Agile Open in San Francisco several years ago. Hearing one of the
participants speak in the morning announcements that parallel to our
geeky agile software OST conference there were also brave fortunate
souls were convening a World Open Space on Open Space. It felt
authenticating, energizing, and empowering to know that people cared
enough about the Open Space format to meet in a global context.

So my counter question is "What is the value of having the 'W'?"

For me the 'W' indicates the presence of a world community that cares
enough to nurture and support and advance this powerful philosophy and
way for people to come together.

The 'W' gives some focus for people who may have limited resources to
both get to a world wide event, and to help others get to a world wide
event where this lively and heart filled community can meet face to face
and keep friendships, relationships, and connections alive.

Also, the 'W' brings up valuable conversations about our global context.
I really love that we have a focal annual World event. If there were
enough energy - I'd love to see more than one World event co-created by
the World Open Space community. But I'd be saddened if we somehow forbid
the "W". It feels like closing, not opening space.

Anyone who wants to have a OSonOS can do one.
Anyone who wants to have a WOSonOS can do one. Did anyone else besides
Suzanne really have the ambition, energy, and drive to host the 2013 event?
Anyone who wants to can host an XOSonOS - where X is whatever
amplification to OSonOS you want. An Agile Open Space on Open Space. A
Pilots Open Space on Open Space. A Food Open Space on Open Space. It's
not licensed. Just do it.

     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato