[OSList] New Animal from London - "The Fly"

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Fri Oct 19 09:59:34 PDT 2012

Michael,

Thanks! You hit a theme that has been hard for me as a videographer. I
don't know if anyone has seen this old low budget documentary, Sherman's
March. Ross McElwee got a grant to film the effects of Sherman's
devastating march of destruction through the South during the American
Civil War - and instead really made an introspective inner journey about
his dating life, nightmares of nuclear holocaust, and how he keeps
people away from him with the camera.

My work with the camera has always been haunted by that film. I am very
familiar with how I can use the camera as be a shield to keep people
away, to hide behind the camera while exposing others. And as someone
interested in Quantum Mechanics, I'm also very aware of the observer
effect. There is no such thing as a completely "detached observer".
Observation always impacts that which is observed.

Did the fly metaphor help integrate Ragnar into our event and community?
Did it separate him?

I've been bringing in the local cable access television station for my
Missoula Open Space events. They've gradually been getting more and more
integrated into the event - yet I'm always wondering how to amplify and
extend the event through getting them more integrated.

Whatever Phelim and Improbable has done - if you look at the
documentation site for WOSonOS2012 - it's one of the most heavily
documented Open Space I've ever seen with 53 reports already online and
there will be lots of video!

http://www.devotedanddisgruntled.com/events/world-open-space-open-space/reports

     Harold

--