[OSList] New Animal from London - "The Fly"

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Oct 19 08:35:20 PDT 2012

this thread reminds me that i've always been a bit uncomfortable with the
'fly' dimension of photographers, videographers, and graphic recorders in
open space... not because of what they're doing but because their gizmos or
special skills makes them seems special.  of course they are special... but
not more or less than all the others.  it seems to me that these recording
folk are doing in some obvious ways what everyone is really charged with...
taking in all that they can and coming away with something to show for
it...  flowers that come from cross-pollinating, butterfly wings that came
from nibbling around and cooking oneself in reflection (stretching the
metaphor a bit, perhaps), making lists of immediate next steps or
dot-voting for the action-minded, or whatever other "take aways" that
people might create for themselves.  so these recorders seem to me to be
doing what everyone else is doing, perhaps just in a more outwardly obvious
way.  so i guess my discomfort comes when their work is suggested or
perceived as being done "for" the community rather than "in" or "as members
of" the community.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)