[OSList] How do we manage time in an evening+morning shortish OS? (II part of:: How do we invite key and high conflicted people?)

Eleder_BuM eleder.aurtenetxe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 01:52:21 PDT 2012

Some weeks ago I asked some questions regarding and OS in which we had a
big concern: how to invite a small and conflicted group (you can see the
message below),... After a conversation beween both parts it seems that
this group is willing to come to the OS.

Now I come with another question.

   - the subject is quite broad (*The self-managing model of our town: how
   do we make it a continually innovating one? *. You can see context and
   subject below).
   - we have scheduled Friday (16:00-21:00) & Saturday (10:00-14:00),
   shiortish I would say, for such a wide topic and conflicted context,...
   - we told the promotors that we would have action proposals and first
   meetings during the second morning... and I´m thinking now that might be an
   error.  I´m afraid that  we are giving too short time for just
   conversations as they emerge, forcing a bit all the stuff to have a report
   with *recommended actions*

The thing as we had proposed would be sth like:

Friday 15:30 reception; 16: openinng; 17: first convs; 18: 15; 2nd convs;
19: 30: 3rd convs 20: 45 evening news

Saturday: 10:00 morning anouncements; 10:30 Action proposals 11:00 Action
teams meetings 12:30 Action teams short reports 13:00 closing

*I would like better now sth more spaced and real* (things tend to delay a
bit around here :o), like:

Friday 15:30 reception; 16: openinng; 17:30 first convs; 19:00 2nd convs;
20:30 evening news

Saturday: 10:00 morning anouncements; *10:30 3rd convs *(from first day
proposals)* 12:00 Action proposals+meetings+short reporting *13:30 closing

but this kind of Saturday morning would be new to me, combining stuff from
first day proposals with time for action proposals,...convening the big
dircle at midday 12:00 for new action proposals,...  and I feel a bit
unsure that would be working fine...

Any similar experience? Any suggestions?

Love,

** <https://twitter.com/Eleder_BuM>@Eleder_BuM
www.flowandshow.blogspot.com (En) www.burumapak.blogspot.com (Basque)
www.in-fluyendo.blogspot.com (Sp) www.bilbohiria.com/gaika/berbaz (radio)

Context:
A 300 people´s village council. They are proud for their 40 years
experience of self-management, very common in the ancient Basque tradition,
but very uncommon here, these days. Every 4 years people that want to get
involved in the administration will appear, and citizens choose (before the
official polls) who will be the representatives. Then the 7 people  more
voted form the only list on the official polls and form the ruling team for
the next 4 years.

Then, some 8 self-managed and executive teams are formed (whoever comes
been the right people; nowadays some 60-80 people taking part
regularly),...

Political parties -that rule the neighbour towns- have no word here. "It´s
just we the people who govern ourselves".

Sponsor:
The 7 elected people that now are ruling. 6 amateurs, just one technician
paid.

Last day we had the first meeting with the sponsors of a 1´5 OS. We expect
som 70 participants.
We could define the subject, dates (9th & 10th Nov). We designed the
invitation text and process. We arranged for the logistics,...

There´s still something important un solved. I´ll try to explain it shortly:

[...]

There´s *a group of some 10 people highly opposed to the managing and
ruling model*. They have become a problem for the ruling team. The mayor
said on the meeting: *"I would like to sleep well after taking
decissions..."*. They are part of main political parties and are said to be
planning to "break the self-management tradition ". Last months they have
written and put in the post-boxes of the neighbours very critical
annonimous writings against the council team,...

Invitation:

The sponsors want* to have all the people from the town rethink, adapt,
their model. They want that everyone feels part of it. They want that even
the minorities can feel represented. *

But they say that "the others" just usually say ·*"I don´t like this;
neither this; neither this,... "* but don´t help to solve anything.

We´ll invite, too, people from outside the village to enrich the
conversations, bring some fresh air and new views,...

Problem:
They think that this "10 opponents" will probably refuse coming. Everyone
of us agreed that the OS would be richer if they take part. That conflict
could transform in great new process,...

During the meeting we agreed that the person of the sponsors (council team
of 7) in best terms with the "leader" of the opponents would meet her and
explain that the OS will be a good opportunity to find solutions to the
conflict and grow for everyone,...

Some questions:

   - how would you act as facilitators?
   - Should we just wait and see?
   - If, as expected, they decline the invitation, should we as "neutral"
   facilitators have another try to have then come?
   - Should we contact the sponsors before they meet the opponents and ask
   to be present during this invitation meeting?
   - Could it be better to tell the sponsor "let us contact the opponents
   directly and meet them, as you are part of the conflict and they will
   probably refuse you"?
   - Could we invite them to co-write the invitation, to take part in the
   designing process?...

After several OS processes facilitated since Berlin, this one is probably
the one that best fits the 5 conditions for OS... it has deep conflict! I´m
eager with it, yeah! And I would really love to have *all *the system in
the room, and the highly conflicted minority are an important part, I
guess...

Any ideas?

Enjoy this great day,

Eleder