[OSList] The role of session transcribers, this is my oslist session invite.

Kári Gunnarsson kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
Mon Oct 22 15:37:32 PDT 2012

Hello dear oslist community

I think about introducing distributed not-taking for sessions so that the
responsibility of notes is in the hands of every participant and not the
participant appointed session transcriber as is the general structured
meeting practice. I long for an opening in the passion and responsibility
for the written notes as well as the spoken word.

As I read about some participation content begin lost by transcribers and
experiencing it for my self, I think about the documentation design style
and the call by some to have scribes at each group. Having scribes at
groups makes my face expression wrinkle a little and I think of an
alternative solution based on the responsibility and passion of every
member.

What if everyone could dot down there own contributions or ask a fellow in
the discussion to dot down there contributions if that is there need. This
way the responsibility of not-taking is distributed, and half, if not all
present take notes to there contributions.

But then we have a problem when all the different notes enter the
computers, the complexity of adding several documents as one discussion
will be like a discussion in the lists or some different beast.

I imagen that this idea has especially had some fieald time in the hads of
multi-language gathering facilitators.

My vision is a shared and individual responsibility for session note-taking
without the use of session selected representative for the role.

I ask about your experiences with this idea of distributed documentation
for each session and the solutions you have identified.

with love from Iceland
Kári

--
Kári Gunnarsson