[OSList] 3 Dec & online: Growing Open Space in the UK - what next? An invitation

Martin Grimshaw martin at decisionlab.org.uk
Tue Nov 13 06:09:19 PST 2012

Dear Friends

Open Space facilitators in the UK (.... and are there any around in
Ireland?), or those with a strong interest in Open Space are invited to
an Open Space event to explore: *"Growing Open Space in the UK - what
next?"* - in person on 3rd December 2012, London or online from now
(please read on).
/
//So that we can confirm details, we need to know numbers - please
reserve a place here now with a simple click:/
http://www.openspaceuk.wildapricot.org

To _stay in touch_ with developments or just flag up to us that you're
'around and on the scene' in the UK, sign up using the same link above
and click on 'Get your log in details'. To participate in the *_online
circle_* on this topic, open now, please use the same link above and
click on 'The virtual circle'.

At WOSonOS 12, the recent World Open Space on Open Space in London, a
cluster of enthusiasm formed around strengthening the Open Space
community and profile in the UK. Quite what this something will become,
will be determined by us together as we navigate our diverse ideas, and
you are warmly invited to help plot its course, and puff into its sails.

Our next step together will be an Open Space, asking:  Growing OS in the
UK - what next?

Please join us on Monday 3 December, 10 - 4, London (venue to be
confirmed according to numbers)

We intend to keep our costs as low as possible, but we'll need to ask
for contributions toward venue hire.

Annette, Greta & Martin committed to carrying the torch and keeping
momentum until our next get together. We were asked to invite others to
a poll of dates; however, having spent some time negotiating our diaries
and planning, we have decided to choose a date, hope many of you can
make it, ask for your forgiveness if you can't, and trust that you can
be present at a future gathering, or help us to shape it online. We
would love to see as many of you there as we can muster.

There has already been some early sharing of ideas, lessons from
experience gained from previous attempts in the UK, and from the
experiences of our fellows around the world. The themes of "how do we
promote OS, support the community of practitioners, report benefits of
OS, and increase use of OS" seem to be rising strongly.
*
**'The un-manifesto of an un-institute'*

To give us a flavour, during the first WOSonOS12 session on this
subject, passion and commitment developed to hold the space and to
invite something to (re)emerge. Annette Zera, Greta Irving, Keith
Blundell, Jo Wonder, Martin Grimshaw, Liz Martins, Martin, Andrew Paine,
Bhav Patel, Ansuman came together to say [edited by MG]

    /"We want to invite others who share our passion, hopes and dreams
    to join us.//
    //
    //The world is in planetary, social, organisational crises. Open
    Space has a creative, credible contribution to make. and we want to
    build the momentum of Open Space in the UK.//
    //
    //'Open Space UK' (working title) would offer OS practitioners the
    support of their peers, increase the visibility and impact of Open
    Space, and spread the word that there is another, decent, way of
    doing things. We've tried to create 'Open Space UK-like entities'
    before, without lasting success. How can we make it work this time?
    We need to learn lessons from other OS Institutes in other countries
    …. what has worked and what hasn't?//
    //
    //We think that it will be helpful to maintain a healthy, enjoyable,
    welcoming and supportive collective or community, which communicates
    a clear sense of who we are and why we want to do this."/

What should or could this thing be? Please join us online to help us
shape it.

The discussion has evolved since our first sessions. We wanted to throw
a pebble into the pond to start us off, a pebble the shape of a one
paragraph suggestion of what this thing is, to stimulate our meet-up.
Please take it apart, help us re-imagine this thing as you would like to
see it. What would make this entity useful to you? What would make you
excited?

Please join in or add your own topic here:
http://www.openspaceuk.wildapricot.org/Default.aspx?pageId=1441856&eid=1135580
(you'll need to register to keep out spammers)

.... and in person on 3 December or subsequently.

Warm regards and keep up the good work

Annette Zera, Greta Irving, Martin Grimshaw

With thanks to Francois Knuchel, who has recovered previous material and
contacts.

Links to the WOSonOS12 'Open Space UK' notes are here:

1)
http://www.devotedanddisgruntled.com/events/world-open-space-open-space/reports/open-space-uk-working-title/

2)
http://www.devotedanddisgruntled.com/events/world-open-space-open-space/reports/help-how-do-we-help-os-uk-thrive/