[OSList] Sharing about making work in Open Space

Stella Duffy stell at clara.co.uk
Mon May 28 15:20:17 PDT 2012

For the past two years, since the Improbable-hosted Devoted & Disgruntled in
2010, I¹ve been convening a group of writers, directors, artists, actors,
musicians, performers (approx 60 in all, but we¹ve been coming together in
different combinations of between 12 to 30)  towards making a show together,
entirely in Open Space.
Having worked on 14 days over two years, we decided we wanted to aim for
performance in 2013, with a week¹s R&D this summer. And that, while we would
continue to make the work whether we had funding or not, we would apply to
the Arts Council (of Great Britain) for funding for the R&D, 25 people,
rehearsal space, 6 days ... Not a cheap thing.
Like any of those application forms, the Arts Council funding application
form has plenty of questions asking the name of the leader or the writer or
the director ... And we kept saying the same thing ³a show about individuals
and community, made by a community of individuals² (it¹s about loads else,
of course, but that sums up the basics pretty well).
We explained Open Space and how well it¹s working for us, that it feels very
new (to welcome a 3 year old and a 6 year old into the rehearsal room for
eg), but also very old (if theatre started around a campfire), and therefore
very right.
And we did all this ­ the actual filling out of the application ­ in Open
Space. Eleven people, all writing on flip chart paper, working out how best
to explain who we are and what it is we¹re trying to make and ­ perhaps
especially ­ how we¹re trying to make it.
We added the photo of us doing this in OS to our application.
Last week we heard we¹ve been successful and have been granted funding for
the R&D. And we know that¹s a long way from a completed show, but it¹s a big
step forward. And it also feels like a vindication of our choice to work
entirely in OS. And it started at D&D.
Thank you community,
Stella Duffy