[OSList] Sharing about making work in Open Space

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:44:19 PDT 2012

Dear Stella,
I can only imagine the rigor of these application forms and the huge
competition for funds in this economy.  What a feat!  And the most
beautiful thing of all is how Open Space wove itself into their
decision-making process, into the crafting of the application and soon the
R&D leading up to an amazing theatrical performance put on by a community
of individuals in 2013.
Reading this after my meal tonight was like the best dessert.
Suzanne

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Stella Duffy <stell at clara.co.uk> wrote:

>  For the past two years, since the Improbable-hosted Devoted &
> Disgruntled in 2010, I’ve been convening a group of writers, directors,
> artists, actors, musicians, performers (approx 60 in all, but we’ve been
> coming together in different combinations of between 12 to 30)  towards
> making a show together, entirely in Open Space.
> Having worked on 14 days over two years, we decided we wanted to aim for
> performance in 2013, with a week’s R&D this summer. And that, while we
> would continue to make the work whether we had funding or not, we would
> apply to the Arts Council (of Great Britain) for funding for the R&D, 25
> people, rehearsal space, 6 days ... Not a cheap thing.
> Like any of those application forms, the Arts Council funding application
> form has plenty of questions asking the name of the leader or the writer or
> the director ... And we kept saying the same thing “a show about
> individuals and community, made by a community of individuals” (it’s about
> loads else, of course, but that sums up the basics pretty well).
> We explained Open Space and how well it’s working for us, that it feels
> very new (to welcome a 3 year old and a 6 year old into the rehearsal room
> for eg), but also very old (if theatre started around a campfire), and
> therefore very right.
> And we did all this – the actual filling out of the application – in Open
> Space. Eleven people, all writing on flip chart paper, working out how best
> to explain who we are and what it is we’re trying to make and – perhaps
> especially – how we’re trying to make it.
> We added the photo of us doing this in OS to our application.
> Last week we heard we’ve been successful and have been granted funding for
> the R&D. And we know that’s a long way from a completed show, but it’s a
> big step forward. And it also feels like a vindication of our choice to
> work entirely in OS. And it started at D&D.
> Thank you community,
> Stella Duffy

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group