[OSList] Article about OS a question

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 05:01:14 PDT 2012

On Chris Corrigan's website, there is document titled:  30 snappy
definitions of Open Space http://chriscorrigan.com/parkinglot/?page_id=957.
This morning I sat down creating a rough cut list of why I love Open Space
because of what it invites.You may have your own list that you want to
share or perhaps a gem or two you want to add. Perhaps it will offer a
tidbit here or there that is of value to Phelim as he crafts his article.

   1. Open Space is spiritual. It is SOURCE.
   2. Open Space is practical, invites real work to be done
   3. Open Space is transformational, a time when we can “experience” a new
   way of working together
   4. Open Space invites the dance of chaos and control, invites people to
   life, to being who they truly are; to being alone and together
   5. Everyone is invited to contribute and engage on the most important
   issues
   6. The world is too complex to rely on a small group of leaders and
   experts to define the direction and strategy; we need the perspective and
   contribution of many
   7. When people are included, feel valued and get a glimpse of the bigger
   picture, they become self-motivated to contribute and make a difference
   8. Open Space invites depth and detail in the sharing of what people
   know and do
   9. People feel proud and valued when they are included
   10. Open Space has a very robust structure with principles and a law
   that invite people to be intentional and to unleash their own leadership
   11. Open Space combines speed and high engagement, provides a view of
   the bigger picture, sets the context and priorities and draws wisdom and
   active participation from many
   12. Open Space ignites freedom and choice for the individual, no small
   matter in a world where we are always told what to do and think
   13. Open Space provides people at all levels the opportunity  to hear
   and to engage with each other directly without interpretation or filters
   14. Open Space makes clear the combination of passion and responsibility
   15. When people write down their topic and sign their name on something
   related to the most important issues, they are declaring to others what
   matters most to them, publicly taking ownership perhaps for the first time
   16. Open Space is experiential; gets people out of their head simply by
   sitting in a circle together
   17. Open Space provides the opportunity to quickly put all the issues on
   the table; when something is named, it suddenly becomes something we can
   address and deal with.
   18. Open Space awakens something inside people, a sense of wonder, of
   curiosity, of energy and hope; with a spirit of fun
   19. Open Space opens space in our lives, inviting us to put aside
   everything that we are doing to focus on that which is most important ,
   that matters to us
   20. Open Spaces creates connection between people
   21. Open Space invites us to let go of time, to stop when we are
   finished, to continue when we are not
   22. Open Space is Love and Connection
   23. Open Space invites us to see our differences and uniqueness
   24. Open Space invites us to see where we are the same
   25. In Open Space, we accomplish a lot in a short period of time.
   26. Open Space invites spontaneity and intuition, essential ingredients
   of innovation and creativity
   27. The biggest hump in Open Space is invitation, once over the hump as
   people experience the power of the process, magic starts to happen.
   28. No power points, no assigned experts or leaders, simple to organize,
   powerful in what happens and gets done
   29. Open Space invites the courage of speaking our own voice
   30. Open Space is life as it was meant to be
   31. Open Space creates connection and when people are connected,
   possibilities become possible and problems seem to slip away
   32. Open Space is nothing and everything

Suzanne

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM, "Meike Hübel | erziehungsweise e. V." <
meike.huebel at erziehungsweise.org> wrote:

> Dear all, dear Phelim,
>
> my name is Meike (it is a german women's name, has nothing to do with
> 'Michael'). I'm new to the list, but not new to open space!
>
> What I would like to add is relaxation (I hope, this word meets exactly
> what I want to express). It means to me, that participants feel free, to
> be/to feel like they actually do. No need to hide, no need to play a role.
> A butterfly (so to say: just sitting around doing nothing) is as important
> as a leader of a workshop of thirty people. You are EXPECTED to do nothing
> if you feel like doing nothing.
>
> Doing nothing is considered to be as precious as working a lot … that's a
> revolution!
>
> Hope that would be helpful.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Meike
>

> Am 14.06.2012 um 12:10 schrieb Phelim McDermott:
>
> Dear Friends,
>
> I've been asked to write an article for the culture professionals network
> on the Guardian newspaper website. It will be about our upcoming tour of
> "Devoted and Disgruntled: What are we going to do about theatre? "
> roadshow. 20 open space events over three months all making up one big
> conversation. see the tour here..
>
> www.devotandanddisgruntled.com
>
> So of course the article will be about open space.
>
> I'm thinking on the things I want to say and was wondering if people had a
> thought about this.
>
> What about Open space do you wish got said in the media that doesn't often
> get said?
>
> What would you like me to mention that doesn't  normally get mentioned?
>
> Best
>
> Phelim
>
> ________________________________
>
> I generally pick up emails only at the beginning and end of the working
> day. I am currently aiming to respond the following day. If it is urgent
> please call me on 07956 187298.

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group
7159 Victoria Circle