[OSList] The five principles in Welsh?

Jon Harvey jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 08:12:26 PDT 2012

HI Lisa and all

Just came across this in a book of funnies I have had for a while:

A chicken company's slogan "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken"
was translated into Spanish as "It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a
chicken affectionate". Billboards throughout Mexico were emblazoned with the
slogan along with a picture of the company's owner next to a chicken.

And this was before Google translate!

In another example:

The Dairy Association's slogan "Got milk?" was translated into Spanish as
"Are you lactating?"

And finally - it is not just Spanish of course:

Scandinavian vacuum manufacturer Electrolux used the following in an
American campaign "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux"

Have fun!

Atb

Jon