[OSList] using open space with other processes

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Mon Jan 30 11:35:10 PST 2012

Dear Kerry and others following this thread,

Our contribution in the AI journal was a case study Rapid High Participation
Strategic Planning
.published Nov 04. I think it is in same journal as Diane
is referring to. I do have a copy of our article for sharing so write to me
off list if you would like it. We use a blended approach of Whole Person
Process Facilitation (WPPF), Appreciative Inquiry (AI), and Open Space
Technology(OST). We followed up with this client for some years
a global
health organization
the resultant strategic plan did its job in ways beyond
even the high expectations that they had.

In early days of sorting out which participative methods to use, I would
decide that part of the time together would be WPPF, part would be OST, part
might be AI or World Café, part might be Circle Work as per the Christina
Baldwin Circle work. This worked, and at the same time I was not satisfied
as I experienced that our results during and after the meeting were not all
that they could be. About 2002, in a week long facilitation, the design was
to do a WPPF meeting on day one to share and process content, followed by a
one day OST to make sense of it and develop actions, then followed by WPPF
and again followed by OST with the final day devoted to convergence and
action planning and the closing circle. We got results. I was unhappy
though. My intuitive ‘YES’ did not show up but instead it was more like a L.
We discussed the process and from that point onwards, we have adopted the
following practice with all of our consulting assignments.

We use WPPF as an operating platform for the whole meeting that is focused
on achieving a business goal or development goal. This meeting format when
used as an operating platform, allows other participative methodologies like
AI summit work or OST or World Cafe to take place in a way that is seamless
for the participants. We have found the results to be exceptional, long
lasting, impactful, and useful. Our clients say we work magic
.the good
kind.

The article noted above published in the AI journal is a nice case example,
bringing together not only different methods in our WPPF operating platform,
and bringing in wonderful experts in their methods allowing each of us to do
the pieces of facilitation that we loved the most.

Birgitt Williams

www.dalarinternational.com