[OSList] Charrette in Connecticut

Barbara B. Bunker bbunker at buffalo.edu
Mon Jan 30 18:12:20 PST 2012

I heard about a charette process used to redesign the decaying downtown in an
urban CT town.  The architects brought in sketches or photos of the main street
downtown and asked a very diverse group of stakeholders to think about what they
would do to meet their own needs as well as get rid of urban blight.  Seniors
wanted their senior center connected more easily and safely to the downtown.
Some people wanted 2nd floor apartments downtown.  New types of business were
proposed.  The joggers wanted the fence that kept them from coming downtown for a
coffee to have a gate so they could meet friends while exercising, etc, etc.  The
architects/planners  then went back to their drawing boards and created new
models that were responsive.  Some weeks later at another meeting the whole group
reassembled to review and react to the new plans. It's my understanding that the
final project was quite successful.  I see it as a structured engagement process
for getting the people affected, involved in the change process.  B3

Barbara B. Bunker Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology Emerita
The University at Buffalo
117 Highland Avenue