[OSList] using open space with other processes

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Mon Jan 30 07:34:06 PST 2012

HI Kerry,

Of the participative methods I know, to me AI is the one that is the closest to the OS spirit and principles. AI and OS can be quite complementary when both are needed but generally, I find that groups are ready to jump into OS without any prelude. Here is one story of how I used these two approaches together.

I used the first part of AI (pair interviews) a half day before an Open Space with a group of senior managers at the end of an 18th month leadership learning program. The AI interview was to help recap their learnings of that period before discussing in OS what was key to them, how, what was missing and a vision of where they were going from there, with a plan on how. It was very appreciated and very productive.

I described the experience in this article published by AI Practitioner of London. I posted it on my web site - here is the link http://www.dianegibeault.com/Article_DG_OS_AI_SchoolinCanada_0411.pdf

The online full edition (Nov 04) was entirely on examples of AI in combination with OS. Several OS facilitators from around the world, Harrison being one, contributed.

Diane