[OSList] Virtual Open Space

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Jan 29 07:58:38 PST 2012

Hi, David -

I am wondering if others could share experiences with virtual Open
Space events? I have a diverse group of somewhere between 20 and 100
people that I would like to bring together in a virtual open space to
address a somewhat urgent and important issue. I have questions such
as...
- How can you do a virtual open space?
- What's the same and different vs. a in-person open space?
- What considerations are important in selecting a technology platform?
- What are your tips and suggestions for what may work and what may
hinder?

There is an online Open Space tool created by a wonderful Open Space
facilitator - Gabriela Ender and her team - and field-tested by Open
Space facilitators.
See http://www.openspace-online.com/

As always - being together in-person first is the ideal for then
moving into virtual meetings. People can sense each other and form
relationships when they sit together, eat together, be on-site
together. If this is not possible, then the next step - to me -
because it is the next step for any dialogue work in my experience -
is to analyze what the meeting is for, why are you bringing people
together, what are your desired outcomes, how much time is possible,
and all the other components of analysis before selecting tool. In
addition, on-line tools are sometimes harder for people who do not
absorb data through text, are not first-language speakers, are
reflective (not quick-) responders, or contribute immensely without
speaking - so to me, attention should be paid to access / inclusion /
cultural differences issues - just as much as for a face-to-face
environment.

OpenSpace-Online does a marvelous job of creating a physical space and
of approximating a live Open Space event - even though it is text- and
image-based and on the flat screen of your computer monitor.

Like anything involving human dynamics and dialogue process - I would
hope that to create a new tool in a non-face-to-face setting the
creator would first *completely* know the method, what is unseen, what
changes when one changes any part of the process, when to use, when
not to, why things work, why some things do not work, what is possible
and not possible / inclusive and not inclusive in short sessions and
so on. Before knowing how an online tool would replicate what happens
face to face. And I would hope that the facilitator of an online
process has rich experience in facilitating the same process face-to-
face - to understand the nuances behind the surface, understand the
pre-work, understand the human dynamics. Then they could apply their
extensive knowledge of face-to-face work in that process to their
facilitation of or selection of online process and tools.

I look forward to hearing what Suzanne or Christine and Harold or
others have as their own lessons-learned in working with
MaestroConference or other virtual tools and services for on-line
meetings - because they have experimented with holding Open Space or
Open-Space-style meetings using these other tools...

Lisa