[OSList] trainings on NON-VIOLENCE

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Tue Jan 17 13:00:54 PST 2012

Thank you for answering this dear Frauke,

My belief is that when OST meetings are well done, they are the best vehicle
for transforming energy non-violently. Also, they can be effective with
rapid transformation, not long drawn out
and in this day and age, ‘rapid’ is
important or people burn out and I think anger escalates.

Years ago, we facilitated an OST meeting in a neighborhood full of gangs.
The gang members showed up because we had something that they wanted to
use
two gyms and a basketball court. The meeting space was a ‘weapon free
zone’ so we took the weapons at the door, stored them, and gave them back.
Our Board of Directors was very worried about giving the weapons back, but
after much deliberation, it seemed like the best option. The topic was about
the use of the basketball courts and the gyms and other space we had. With
their interest in this common topic, violence was put aside, and the usual
behaviors in an OST meeting emerged. From gang ‘warfare’ to having these
same young people work together to run a community center together was a big
leap, and it happened in an instant. They still had some problems outside of
the community center with each other but the violence on the streets went
way down.  We had periodic OST meetings, interspersed with periodic Whole
Person Process Facilitated meetings within which we planned for  the OST
meetings. This worked for years until I lost touch with this group
for all I
know it is still working. I worked closely with our  Chief of Police on this
one. He was amazed at the results and then allowed me to come in and do some
other things too. As well as the highly participatory meetings, one of the
keys that I have found is a good planning meeting not only about the content
we discuss but also about how we facilitate the planning meeting. I have
also found that it is imperative to have a topic of mutual concern/passion
that needs to be addressed and I never have this topic be ‘conflict
resolution’. I trust that conflict resolution is a by-product of a well done
OST meeting.

Warmly,

Birgitt