[OSList] Charrette in Connecticut

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Jan 31 06:21:43 PST 2012

Barbara Bunker! So nice to see you here, my friend! And for whatever it is worth I had an architect friend who combined OS with Charrette to great effect. The group started with Open Space for a day which got the conversation started, laid out the issues of concern, and (self) identified the interested parties for each issue. The OS was then followed by a "design period" (about 4 weeks over all, I recall) in which the architects worked the issues over against the actual structural design -- in the company of the identified "interested parties." Doing this effectively created a Co-design teams in which user's and designers could really collaborate. The final act was the Charrette which morphed into a "project review" session for all parties. I am told that everybody really enjoyed the undertaking, but more to the point, once construction started design changes were minimal to non-existent. The importance of this last point (no design changes) is large in the building world. Design changes are where you make or lose money. If you can build a project according to the design it is much more likely that you will come in according to the budget, which is always a good thing.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854