[OSList] the oracle's musings

Bernhard Weber weberb at gmx.at
Sat Feb 25 09:24:26 PST 2012

Doug

Ok, I see what you mean,

I do not really see, that it "usufel to seek (such) settings out". But I believe (and have a little bit of experience) that OST works/is useful under such "highly conflictuous" conditions for

a) getting the necessary work done without doing explicitly conflict management
b) getting the necessary work done and build some trust by this experience
c) getting the necessary work done and ....

and there seem to be lots and lots of experiences of others in this list that also point into this direction. I see right now, that/what HO wrote in answering your posting...

To me it seems that it very much depends of a in depth search for what this "necessary work" (or problem apart from those you mentioned) is and then a creative formulation of the title of the OST meeting/event

In general I tend to believe, that difference/diversity of perspective/opinion and therefore a tendency to have a conflictuous situation is a pre-condition of development and therefore also of OST.
Now these conflicts can reach a level, that people can not talk to each other any longer under the setting where they meet each other usually, that is true.
But that is exactly where OST creates a context where quite a high level still does NOT make it impossible for the people to talk to each other, and gives the possibility, especially by the law of 2 feets to not be forced to confront each other with more than tolerable and then there is a diversity of contexts for meeting each other in a planned, not planned or unconsiously selected way that OST offers during working and breaks, and very often it is a informal trust building process that I saw happen.

But I am not shure if this is an answer to your question

Bernd